Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with a Simplex XL

Author Topic: Help with a Simplex XL
Eric Womack
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 03:41 PM      Profile for Eric Womack   Email Eric Womack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Simplex XL projector that has a focus knob that is almost impossible to turn to focus. Any ideas on what the adjustment is that need to be made? Is this a work part issue?

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 04:27 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had many like that. Could be a couple things. There is an allen key on top of the barrel inside the projector. It tightens the top of the barrel around a rail which it slides on. Make sure it's not overtightend. Also make sure it's nnot all gummed up. The whole mechanism may also be gummed up. I have had that too. On front of the projector, take out the 4 allens that hold the focus knob assembly in place. Pull out the whole assembly and clean it.

Eric Womack
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 04:44 PM      Profile for Eric Womack   Email Eric Womack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Richard,

I'll give that a shot.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-26-2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take it apart NOW, while you can still turn the shaft. Clean and lightly lubricate the assembly. There is the threaded focus knob shaft, and the larger shaft around it that gets crudded up over time.

Remove the rear focus knob shaft cover (has two Allen screws holding the round plate on). Then unscrew the plate (Note, this is left-hand threaded and actually screws INTO the rear of the focus knob shaft). Remove the four screws from the small focus shaft casting on the front of the projector (just behind the focus knob). Then, unscrew the shaft and you can pull the lens holder out at that point. I also remove the trap/gate latch assembly out, too, which makes room to get the lens holder out. (I hope I got this all right from memory...) [Wink]

Otherwise, you will just about have to cut the thing out of there to replace it.

Really. Do it now.

Eric Womack
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 06:20 PM      Profile for Eric Womack   Email Eric Womack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim,

I have it scheduled to be done on tomorrow.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 09:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just a small dumb wonder - would the tension adjustment knob below the lens barrel holder be too tight on the focus knob thread?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 10:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah! Never that simple...usually the top part is way too tight! Louis

Eric Womack
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 05:20 PM      Profile for Eric Womack   Email Eric Womack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim was correct. these projectors where installed in 1941. They where a little seized up. Took the whole thing apart and cleaned and oiled the thing and reassembled. turns like new.

In case you are wondering the projectors are still in the original booth ans theater they where installed in.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-27-2008 05:51 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the soundheads in 1941.....XL heads are post World War II [Wink]

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-30-2010 05:43 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 793 days since the last post.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2010 05:43 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having the opposite problem. The focus knob moves too easily. This projector has not been used for a while. My concern is that lens may come out of focus b/c the knob moves very easily. Is this a valid concern?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2010 05:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try tightening the silver knob that lives underneath the lens inside the projector. Be sure not to over-tighten.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: