Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » $2 idea to protect platter brains when moving prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: $2 idea to protect platter brains when moving prints
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-24-2008 02:10 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Just wanted to share this idea we had for protecting our non-removable brains during print movement. This large plastic bowl was purchased at Ace Hardware, but I'm sure something similar can be found at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2008 04:08 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool idea.

A SKULL Cap for the Brain!
[Big Grin]

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has it been that big of a problem?? dont get me wrong its a cool idea but I would think just being careful would be enough. [Roll Eyes]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-24-2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being careful is usually enough, but just one slip while setting down a print could snap/bend a post. I'm sure you've heard the saying "an ounce of prevention..."

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True true. I have heard that. And like I said it is a good idea. I guess I'm like alot of new people that have been spoiled by new equipment with removable payout heads. I know the potts platter that I had fixed brains on we were able to make a kit for it so I could put removable brains on it but to be honest I didnt do the work so I couldnt tell you how. But it is another solution although alittle more expensive then 2 dollars too.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-24-2008 10:20 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, you can't just remove the brain, like we can with our superior Strong platters??? [Razz] [evil]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2008 10:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather pay for an ancient Christie platter like those than get a brand new Strong platter for free. [Big Grin] Anyway Strong platters from that era have the wing over the cluster rollers in the brain, so both brands have improved since then.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-25-2008 12:23 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the fixed brains in our platter but with 1 screen, there's never really a need to move a print.

Once I contemplated ordering the kit to upgrade to the removable brains, just because some of the parts in the old brains were wearing out....but the price shocked me into buying some new parts for about a fiftieth of the cost.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-25-2008 12:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must have a board with a big "U" cut out in the middle to still scoop the print off the deck.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2008 02:59 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I always assumed the AW3's shipped with removable brains. Although I barely noticed it was one, since it didn't have a lovely patina of deep scratches and drill holes like ours.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-25-2008 06:01 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost to go to removable brains on Strong/Potts is not that great. Anything that shows up at our door (used) gets that conversion before going back out. (3 axles & 3 adapters.) Louis

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a good idea. I have seen a lot of bent and broken "fingers" on the actuator arm on christie aw3's

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-25-2008 11:38 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first I've ever heard of a Aw3 with a non removable brain. Even the ancient models at Mira Mesa had removable brains.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-25-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, a lot of the AW#'s prior to say about the mid 1980's all had the fixed brains. I ran an eight-plex of them back in 1984.

I think, and Bevan can confirm this, the removable brains came out in 1992-ish.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-25-2008 02:20 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool - The ones I worked with must have been upgraded.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: