Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rewinding media (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rewinding media
Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 01:34 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any reason why we couldn't rewind the Film-Tech media on the Kelmar while end credits are running? The cleaner would then be ready for the next show.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-22-2008 01:46 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glue a rewinding core onto the end of a short piece of dowel rod and chuck it up in a screw gun!

You'll be able to rewind the media in ten seconds flat!

[Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-22-2008 02:37 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It is difficult to do when the movie is running. The takeup once loosened will dump the media. Not a good idea.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-22-2008 05:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the advantage of rewinding it a few minutes early?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-22-2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've rewound it during the credits sometimes. Usually it's when I'm working both boxoffice and booth, and it saves a minute of "ticket selling time" not to have to rewind the cleaner after threading. (I've also rewound it while the trailers are running, on that rare occasion I've forgotten to do it while threading!)

What I do is, as I'm rewinding, I use the middle finger of my left hand to keep the takeup side from unspooling. I just rest the left middle finger against the media lightly while manipulating the rewinding core with my thumb and forefinger of both hands - it doesn't take much pressure to hold it from moving.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-22-2008 02:24 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We rewind ours 'on the fly', all the time. some film combos are too long for the new media rolls... and I sometimes just forget. As Mike says, you just have to keep a little finger tension on the takeup spool.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 12:00 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike and Jack. Tried it a couple of times now and it works well.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 07:34 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just carry a media rewinder core in my pocket.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-23-2008 08:00 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah...I thought you were just happy to see us. [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-23-2008 08:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep a core by each projector. I would keep them by the platter but I can't mount the cleaners on the platters.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-30-2008 05:28 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 cent solution to pesky manual rewinding.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-30-2008 05:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, 'cept you'd need to switch drill directions since they don't both rewind the same way unless you follow Kelmar's threading diagram for the media (which is inferior).

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-30-2008 05:50 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you thread it Joe? Drill Direction Swapping (DDS) is no problem.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-30-2008 06:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like this:

-

Without the caps and blurrier just for fun:

-

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-30-2008 06:09 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the EZ2RW/DDS system would be appropriate for this method. [Wink]

What's the benefit in winding it that way? I admit I've done it that way in the past also but in the end went with the EZ2RW system just to keep it the same.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: