Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Info on Automation System?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Info on Automation System??
Sean Kapp
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2008 11:45 PM      Profile for Sean Kapp   Email Sean Kapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings all, I have been reading for a while and this is my first post.

We recently reopened opened the former Columbiana Cinema in Columbiana OH after a lengthy year and a half remodel after our owner purchased the theater.

To this point we have been bypassing the automation system because the former owners staff took every thing that wasn't attached to the building and we have no clue how to use it. They took all manuals to every thing in the place.

The fail safe is marked Xetron. That is all we have. Here are the pictures of the control panel and the failsafe.

-
 -

If any one can provide any information on this unit, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-21-2008 11:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Sean. That looks like a Raven/Rentec/Film Systems unit, but I could be mistaken. Difficult to tell for certain without more pictures or info.

The failsafe is irrelevant.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-21-2008 11:51 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Sean, welcome to the board. Can't help you except to say you probably need to upload those images here, not link offsite like that. Click here to upload an image (it's the link next to the Preview Post button).

Sean Kapp
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 12:01 AM      Profile for Sean Kapp   Email Sean Kapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up on the pics David! I edited my original post.

What other pics would be most helpful for you guys? I can take any thing that could help you guys out tomorrow afternoon.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-22-2008 12:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The automation looks like it was built in a garage. I've seen more professional high school shop class work. What is the difference between START and SHOW START? Why isn't there a SHOW STOP? I would be afraid to press SHOW START if it could never be stopped.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-22-2008 12:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Start probably rolls the motor and fires the lamp.

Show start probably opens the douser and (god forbid this hunk of junk can actually do this), open the curtains.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-22-2008 05:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, I forgot you can't have a show without curtains.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-22-2008 09:12 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Show us the INSIDE of that beast! There are a number of people in Ohio who built credible, but simple, automations. Louis

Sean Kapp
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 06:42 PM      Profile for Sean Kapp   Email Sean Kapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the pictures of the inside of the controller

-

-
Unit is marked with a Hi-Tech Theater Equipment S/N sticker (image 2)

Right side terminals include:
Motor
Motor
Xenon
Xenon
Exciter
Exciter
House Lights N.C.
House Lights Com
House Light N.O.
DOuser Open
Douser Com
Douser Closed
Ground

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 06:48 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh God....it's a Hi-Tech.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-22-2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean Kapp
Greetings all, I have been reading for a while and this is my first post.
Welcome Sean. Disregard the negative comments by those smart-ass jerks...we ALL get a lot of heat here! You'll find this site a tough room filled with knowledgeable folks. Don't take it personally. Enjoy! [Smile]

Again welcome.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-22-2008 08:28 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course! Hi-Tech... they are/were out of Florida. Not much to their stuff; pretty fundamental, bare-bones controllers. As I recall, they were fairly reliable for just that reason. Carmike had a lot of them. The only problem I recall (on the larger units, not yours) was they used real chintzy push buttons, which had a tendency to fall apart.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 09:04 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sean,

Welcome to the smartest sit on the WEB.

There is nothing wrong with relay control systems. Properly specified relays can give many years of trouble free service. A little research into the circuitry could easily yield a working control system for more contemporary use.

There are two dry contact systems, house lights and douser (Changeover momentary contact)

I might guess that the Motor and Xenon are separate so you could start the motor to run down the leader. Pressing stop does just that. Start Show would start the motor and turn on the Xenon and then the douser will open and the exciter lamp would be energized. House lights would also dim upon pressing the start show button.

If you have a clear closeup of the circuit board we might be able to see what the metal foil Que's are able to control. At least one might raise the house lights for the credits and the other might stop the projector, turn off the lamp and close the douser.

The fail safe system could do the equivalent of pressing the Stop button.

Although it is relatively simple, this box could safely run a show with little intervention from the operator.

KEN

Sean Kapp
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 11:33 PM      Profile for Sean Kapp   Email Sean Kapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all that have responded, positive and negative!

This equipment all came with the theater. We are continuing to learn all the ends and outs of every thing that came with the purchase of the building. Any thing that has been found to not be up to our owners standard (and he has really high standards) has been or is slated to be replaced. The auditorium was gutted down to the bare walls and floor and redone from square one. A New retractable screen (we also host live theater from time to time) and sound system was installed. We really didn't care for the sound that we were getting with the processor that was in place with the purchase. We just switched to a DTS system and couldn't be happier. Currently we are working on a mini surround system for our cry/vip room located on the 2nd floor.

I will work with one of our other staff members who has better digital gear to get the close ups of the circuit board of the controller. I should have it for posting sometime tomorrow evening!

Sean Kapp
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 06:58 PM      Profile for Sean Kapp   Email Sean Kapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inside close ups...

-

-

-

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: