Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Audio dropout on Get Smart (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Audio dropout on Get Smart
Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2008 02:06 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the beginning of reel 3, the audio becomes almost inaudible for about a second, returns to normal for a couple seconds, then is inaudible for a second or so more. I have only witnessed this from the theater so far, and not from booth, so I am not sure if my processor is dropping format, but that alone would not explain this because my CP650 is well calibrated and a normal drop to analog is nearly imperceptible.

What I suspect is a case of the audio CAP that many people dealt with on Indiana Jones. Neither of my prints exhibited this issue with Indy in any of my theaters, so I have not personally heard it. I won't have a chance to inspect it thoroughly until tomorrow morning, and am just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-21-2008 05:16 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could very well be. I'll wager your optical levels are low due to LED aging, so that when the audio CAP forces a reversion to optical, you hear it as a considerable drop in gain. Normally, optical and digital audio output levels are equal... WHEN the optical preamps are calibrated to Dolby level, using Dolby tone test film.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-21-2008 08:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it ever determined if this "audio CAP" was an intenional thing or was it just a lab problem? We never had (or at least I never noticed) the problem with our reel 5 when we played Indiana Jones.

Luci Reeve
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2008 09:47 PM      Profile for Luci Reeve   Author's Homepage   Email Luci Reeve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice to get a straight answer from someone in the industry (with good grammar).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-21-2008 11:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but it is illegal to hire someone in the industry with good grammar. They screen those individuals out.

Anyway, it was most definitely intentional on Indy 4. Your calibration could be dead on, but you still can't miss the sound the processor makes when it switches formats, kind of a "clicking" that really can't be missed on any processor. I could hear it pretty easily, and it is during scenes with a lot of sound going on, not during quiet scenes. The Get Smart version may be a completely different method of Audio CRAP. Remember how some movies had beeps in them? Apparently there are multiple methods of doing this.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-21-2008 11:39 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya gets what ya pays for.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 12:13 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will have a look at the track in the morning, but I did witness it from booth today, and the processor did not indicate a drop from SRD, nor was the error rate particularly high, at a fairly steady 3.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-22-2008 01:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would bet it is a lab problem. Request a new reel and see if that helps.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 02:37 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Was it ever determined if this "audio CAP" was an intenional thing or was it just a lab problem?
The email we received (relayed through our booker) about IJ4 stated that the "sound drops" were in fact a "security watermark" and those with sound issues needed to "properly re-balance" their digital/analog fallback.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 06:19 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, like that's ever going to happen around here. Some of these theater are lucky if they can keep the show on the screen.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 12:06 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Upon inspection, the only unusual things I found were a pair of wavy lines, one red, one blue, in between the frames occurring twice, both in the general vicinity of the dropouts. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, these are just indicative of wet splices or whatever is used on internegs. If I recall correctly, the soundtrack is printed from a completely separate master, and so an splices on the negs would have no effect on the release print. I will have a look at my system to definitively rule out hardware problems on my end and go from there.

I have a picture, unfortunately from my phone, but it is a huge pain in the butt if someone knows what I'm talking about anyhow.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2008 07:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dropouts are because he has his shoephone service though AT&T [Big Grin] . Actually I installed a CP650 last Saturday morning at a theater running that film and I stayed to watch it after the install... no dropouts at all.

Mark

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 10:01 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to the section of the film you described twice yesterday. Once from the booth and once from the auditorium.
No drop-outs here, and the CP-650 shows the normal playback
error rate. (usually between 2-4 on my unit)
Perhaps your print has a lab defect as someone else here
has suggested.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 01:25 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a lab error that would cause this issue, how would I know, short of getting a replacement reel and it being gone? I could see no issue with the SRD track, but I am, in fact, not a DA20 or anything like that. The SR track was fine as well, but since I do not believe the processor is dropping to SR, it is a moot point. Replacing reels is something of a challenge, because it needs like three levels of corporate approval, from people who are mostly apathetic to a mere one or two second audio drop.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 05:50 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I am surprised no one has mentioned this. Just take the easy way out. Cut out the 1 or 2 seconds of bad film and nobody will know the difference [Big Grin] . Be sure to save that film though because you'll have to put it back on when you send the print back, but it's not that big of a hassle, just use masking tape [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: