Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Looking for someone to repair curtain motors

Author Topic: Looking for someone to repair curtain motors
John Winebarger
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2008 09:48 PM      Profile for John Winebarger   Author's Homepage   Email John Winebarger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently looking to find a company that can repair top and side masking curtain motor units. We currently have 2 top masking units and 1 side masking unit that are completely inoperable. We know the motors need to be repaired or replaced, but we also definitely need to have some of the rigging and cabling repaired or replaced as well. The other 5 screens could definitely use some fine tuning and adjustment as well.
Any suggestions for specific companies or individuals? We're in the Gloucester, VA area.
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-21-2008 04:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Half of the time, a local electric motor shop can rewind motor on a local basis. Give them a whirl.

John Winebarger
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 12:36 AM      Profile for John Winebarger   Author's Homepage   Email John Winebarger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately we really need to get some of the cabling re-done too. We're really looking for someone with some experience dealing with curtain motor systems.
We had a fellow who used to do it for us, but thanks to our...wonderful...owner, he refuses to do business with us anymore.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-22-2008 08:32 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a guy here in Brooklyn who is very good C & J Professional, but I am not sure if he will travel. Have you tried contacting your theatre supply company? Usually they work in tandem with either a rigger or a full blown rigging company. Or you can try contacting one of the really big guys like Vortec and Carbon Stage Rigging. The Brookly Museum used Pook Diemont & Ohl, Inc for their very elaborate stage panel rigging as did the performing arts center for our stage fire curtain and orchestra lift. These guys are in NY, but they will travel. Problem is, sounds like the owner isn't about to pay what these big companies will want to charge for the professional job they will do. You can be sure if they do your masking rigging, it will be hassle free and reliable. Automate it and forget it.

Baring the owner hiring a big rigging company, your best bet would be, if your theatre supply company can't recommend someone locally, just ask around other theatres, other projectionists and see if anyone can give you a contact name.

Oh, and you might find that there may be other things going on with those motors other than them being burned out and needing rewiring -- switches, relays, etc., are likely to be the culprits before the motors burn out (all of them? -- seems odd).

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-22-2008 08:58 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact the nearest IA stagehand local. If the motor is burned up or needs other than switchgear repair, a local job shop or the manufacturer can handle that.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-22-2008 09:07 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IF the motors are removable and if they are Automatic Devices, they can be factory repaired. Contact me or your favorite local dealer. Will be good-as-new. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-22-2008 02:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Winebarger
but thanks to our...wonderful...owner, he refuses to do business with us anymore..
..which is sad when numbers interfere with the quality of an operation. As an old quote mentions: "A cynic is one who knows the price of everything, but knows the value of nothing."

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-22-2008 07:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By and large the problems at this theatre are one of rigging and storing too much stuff on the motors (as in nothing should be on the motors or even within a couple of feet of them so they may be serviced.

I have also had my eyes on the motors (though I'm not the company inferred in the poster's comments)...there seems to be the potential for the chain that links the motor to the gearbox (lift type machine) to jump.

I think the problems with the contractor/theatre are more complicated than could or should be explained in an open forum.

Steve

John Winebarger
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 09:09 PM      Profile for John Winebarger   Author's Homepage   Email John Winebarger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Steve. I don't know the details of the contractor/theatre situation really, nor do I really care to. My concern is just with getting the masking fixed.
Thanks for everyone's help

Rob Baker
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 09:12 AM      Profile for Rob Baker   Email Rob Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Franklin Designs rehung our screen and replaced our masking a few years ago. They're in Mississippi and we're in Virginia so you can do the rough math for travel costs but they did a very good job. Our masking isn't motorized and I have no idear if that's something they do, but might be worth a look.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: