Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Correct zener diode to use in auto ignitor?

Author Topic: Correct zener diode to use in auto ignitor?
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 12:33 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just replaced a Kneisley rectifier with a Xetron (IREM).
Now the lamp auto ignitor in the lamphouse won't fire.
I'm sure what I need is to put in a lower voltage zener diode on the autostart board.
What would be the proper one?
No load voltage measure's 78.5 volts from the rectifier.
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 02:07 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with one around 65-75 Volts DC. The important thing is that you have a value low enough to allow the autostrike to activate with an IREM but not so low that you have trouble lighting the lamp due to inadequate open circuit (no load) voltage.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 03:14 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the lamphouse. Usually you want the open circuit to measure about 25 to 30 volts above the zener voltage. So somewhere around a 50V zener would be a good first try.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 08:30 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: use the same value as your other, identical, set up. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 08:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The zenier you use must relate to the voltage rating of the relay as well

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 09:46 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Dave; 48Vdc is my suggestion.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-01-2008 10:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used 48 volt with older Irem's. Newer Irems have much higher no-load dc and you will require a higher voltage zener for those...around 60 volts give or take a few volts. Be sure to a zener rated at 5 watts!!!

Mark

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 07:49 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Brad: use the same value as your other, identical, set up. Louis
I would, but I don't recall what diode I used and I can no longer read the numbers on that diode. UV is dastardly.

I do recall it took some trial and error to get the right one the last time.

Thanks for the replys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: