Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Nasty vertical scratch (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nasty vertical scratch
Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 04:03 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This morning I discovered that our print of Iron Man has been scratched rather badly:

-

The scratch is a set of uninterrupted dark vertical lines at or near the center of the screen that move left and right a bit at a frequency of maybe 2 Hz and slowly vary in severity, sometimes as obvious as in that drawing, other times barely visible. During the first show it there was debris scattered next to the lines as well, but that cleaned up after running Film-Guard on it. The scratch wasn't visible at the beginning of the trailer reel, and gradually became worse.

The platter is an AW3, the projector a Century SA with a Dolby Cat. 702 digital reader. The AW3 has the guide posts with the deep, beveled collars. Neither the projector nor the projectionists who worked yesterday are prone to scratching prints. The print is otherwise in excellent condition. The film is always soundtrack-up on the platter.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-30-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think the film was not properly seated in a roller or there was some kind of foreign matter on one of the rollers or guides. Or maybe a barb on one of the posts around the brain.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 04:23 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Run some blank leader that is scratch-free through and inspect the results on the screen. While it's running, keep an eye out in the gate for the starting point of the scratch.

Also, check any rollers on your bench the film might pass through.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-30-2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the scratch almost steady or does it wiggle from side to side noticeably at the same rate as a platter roller spinning?

Emulsion or base side?

Do you use the black or green rollers on your AW3. If green, do you have the metal keeper brackets with the white pegs, or are your keepers plastic and green?

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 09:12 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scratch is on the base.
Sometimes it fades to being almost invisible then suddenly gets worse again.
At the end of the credits it gets so bad you can feel the scratch on the print.
The print ran on that screen for over a week before it happened.
It weaves at a steady pace, I'm guessing maybe one and a half or two times a second, over a short distance (roughly the width of the scratches in the drawing I made.)
This AW3 has both green and black rollers. The black ones use the metal bar with the white pegs, the green ones use the big green plastic keeper that covers a quarter of the roller.
The guide posts (the two before the brain rollers and the two on the speed control arm) don't have any gouges or nicks that could have done that to the print.
I couldn't find any piles of film "crud" where it could have been scraped off at, but it's possible it could have happened on an earlier show and got cleaned without being noticed.

I'm guessing it was either just a misthread on the platter or maybe something sharp got stuck somewhere and fell out after the show dropped.

Michael Wheable
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Michael Wheable   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wheable   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the same problem we had with our 702. The tension rollers closed when a splice went through one of the trailers, around 15 minutes into prog. Scratching didn't visually show up on screen until main film was on.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slather it with FilmGuard as best you can.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a Century SA projector and that has a glass window on the door to the sound head. Right?

Open the door to the sound head and look inside at the edges of the glass. I bet you'll find a chip out of the corner of the glass is missing.

What I think has happened is that a chip has broken off the glass and it fell down into the sound head and lodged there as the film was rolling by.

I've seen this happen on more than one occasion.

Do you have the FM-35 failsafe?

If so, the glass rolled down and wedged between the film and the edge of the failsafe. You might find the piece of broken glass on the floor under the projector.

This has happened on more than one occasion in booths where I have worked.

Here's the scenario:
1) The hinges on the sound head doors get loose because people slam them too hard.

2) The doors won't open and close correctly once the hinges come loose and the door link starts to break.

3) People start to slam the door harder and harder to get it to close.

4) After enough slamming, the doors are so beat that the glass starts to chip and break.

5) The chips fall down into the film path and destroy the film.

Solution: Remove the glass from the sound head doors on all your projectors. Or you could just take the whole door off. If you have changed all your projectors over to read or near-infrared LEDs you don't really need it anyway.

Jon Cleary
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2008 01:29 PM      Profile for Jon Cleary   Email Jon Cleary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been having similar marks with one of my simplex projectors running with an Alpha Platter system. Although the line/lines stay steady and don't weave and change in pressure. I have also gone for a couple of weeks without any marking at all. Talked to some Engineer friends and a couple of suppliers and we seem to have narrowed it down to the analogue sound drum not getting up to full steam or at least intermittently. Have ordered replacement bearings. Trouble being I have been given that many theories it's all spinning around in my head and wondered if any one else had come across the same problem/symptoms? [Confused]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2008 01:57 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A common threading mistake with AP platters is to hook the film on the spring loaded hold pin on the take-up elevator instead of on the film guide that is just above it. This will give several vertical scratches at each point the film comes in contact with the spring coils.

For trouble shooting vertical scratches I usually thread the damaged film back up and stop it when the scratches appear on screen and carefully inspect each contact point of the film path paying special attention to where the scratches are in relation to those contact points. Vertical scratches most commonly occur because the film is being dragged over a stationary or almost stationary objection.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2008 07:58 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just recently have had a problem with one of our auditoriums scratching just about every print that is played in that auditorium. Only thing is, the scratches are intermittently happening. After a splice goes through, the scratch disappears, but ends up coming back. They are on the emulsion side, vertical, and waver on screen, sometimes going off screen. We are using Christie AW3 Platters and Cinemecannica V-4s.

I ran a test loop, about 13 seconds, for over 20 minutes and nothing showed up. I then ran 3 trailers through as a trailer pack on each deck. Nothing showed up until the 4 run.

1st Run was from Top Deck to Middle Deck
2nd Run was from Middle Deck to Bottom Deck
3rd Run was from Bottom Deck to Top Deck
4th Run was from Top Deck to Bottom Deck

On the 3rd run, the film started to jump vertically on the screen, but no scratches showed up on screen.

On the 4th run, the scratches showed up, emulsion side dead center of screen, and just about off center to the left (sound track side). I stopped the film, checked the take up and the scratches were on the emulsion side (black). I then checked the payout, and there were scratches there too before it went through the payout assembly.

I cleaned out the gate previously that night completely, and i checked it again there was nothing in the gate. I checked the aperture plate for any burs that might be rubbing on the film, and nothing. I've checked the failsafe to make sure that nothing is hanging loose. I've checked the entire film path and the only thing that touches the film where the scratches are showing up would be in the gate. Everything else runs on the sprockets or edges of the film.

What could be causing this?

--Tom

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2008 11:05 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Dieter
I then checked the payout, and there were scratches there too before it went through the payout assembly.
Since you didn't see any until you ran the fourth run thru, then your scratches are occurring after the gate. In order for you to have "black" scratches on the emulsion side, whatever it is is cutting fairly deep thru all 3 color layers down the base. Are sure its on the emulsion side? Base side scratches are the most common "black" scratches. Can you feel the scratch?

What kind of fail safe and platters do you use? I would make up a fresh pack again and stop it every so often thru each run and inspect for scratches paying close attention to the film as it leaves the gate and travels back to the platter. Doing this you should be able to see exactly where the scratching starts.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-10-2008 03:45 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this when some sort of threading error has the film dragging over an edge. The base gets scratched then occasionally the burr or whatever is scratching fills up with scraped off base material and doesn't scratch... then the wad of scrapings gets knocked off and the scratch gets bad again. The edge should have a pile of film scrapings on and near it. In my experience this happened either at the projector top or sound head bottom where a roller was skipped and the film rubbed over the edge of the hole.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2008 09:14 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Weigel
In order for you to have "black" scratches on the emulsion side, whatever it is is cutting fairly deep thru all 3 color layers down the base.
From all the scratches that I've ever seen emulsion side, Black is the first color you get, followed by Green, Yellow, and finally White. Am I correct about this or are all my emulsion scratches going through the base and working their way through the emulsion?

quote: Jeremy Weigel
What kind of fail safe and platters do you use?
Need I quote myself about the platters.

We are using Christie AW3 Platters and Cinemecannica V-4s.
The failsafe is a generic National Cinema Supply Corporation inboard/outboard failsafe.

Having to stop the film in the projector would be very tedious, and seems like a waste of time. Inspecting all the way from the gate to the take up would be very difficult unless I un-thread the trailers. I would take and lye down on the floor and watch the film pass over me as the film is running with a flashlight above my head, but the film moves to fast to catch the fine emulsion scratches that they start out as. Along with that, I don't know if it's in the projector or on the platter.

I took again last night and ran a trailer pack multiple times through the projector and nothing has shown up. Only thing I did different was run the trailers through on a flat aperture, and then run them through a scope aperture. 6 passes latter, nothing showed. This is how intermittent it is and it's so frustrating.

Jaime Tuzzio
Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2008 11:22 PM      Profile for Jaime Tuzzio         Edit/Delete Post 
We just recently have had a problem with one of our auditoriums scratching just about every print that is played in that auditorium.
Having to stop the film in the projector would be very tedious, and seems like a waste of time. Inspecting all the way from the gate to the take up would be very difficult unless I un-thread the trailers.
I spent months and months trying to figure out where a horizontal or slightly diagonal "platter" scratch was coming from as it never occured on or just after my shifts, so there wasn't anything I seemed to be doing wrong. At my prior two theatres it had never happened. When I'd think a pattern was developing (who built it, who's working projection, which house, etc.) everything would change. I tried mis-threading in every way I could imagine possible but could not reproduce the scratch anywhere. Tedious, difficult, and just plain annoying as it all was, I would only have welcomed whatever suggestions others had to try and stop the scratches. The damage was beyond embarrassing (we were the new theatre in town and everyone was coming to check us out) and replacing print after print after print took up time I would rather have applied elsewhere.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: