Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Light on Screens (DRIVE-In) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Light on Screens (DRIVE-In)
Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my Drive-In accounts didn't have enough light on their screen. They were running 3000 watt bulb in a Century Projector and pretty old lenses. After many, many discussions we at last changed the power supply, the lamp house and upped the bulb to 4500 watts. They at first were not very happy with the outlay of cash but once the customers starting telling them what a nice picture they had now they came around.

I guess my question is how many Drive-Ins or for that matter indoor theaters are running to dim a picture to save money on the bulb and electricity. Don't you guys agree you get more back from the paying customer if you do it right?

(Edited to correct Drive-Inn to Drive-In)

[ 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Ron Funderburg ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2008 06:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
4500 is still not enough. Any drive-in not running at least a 6000 watt bulb isn't set up properly.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-27-2008 06:50 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a drive in, it's all about the light! No light, no picture. Anything below 4500 watts with a top grade lamphouse; water cooled projector, and new, excellent lenses is criminal. Screen size is not relevant, since 4500 watts on a small screen will allow an even earlier start.

Double the light, start 1 hour earlier; 2x the gate and 4x on concessions. The average result of 10 drive ins.

In the 60's & 70's we had 2 sets of lenses to allow an even earlier start. Louis

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-27-2008 10:25 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one 'n' in 'in'. (unless you're staying overnight).

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-28-2008 12:03 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, John! [Wink]

FWIW, the single best thing you can do for any drive-in is get new lenses. Even with existing lamphouses, that difference alone can be phenomenal.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-28-2008 02:44 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, same setup that I work with at this drive-in in my area...

-

..and with a 3k bulb in that XENEX hitting a 45x90 screen 400ft away..and can't get the owner to do some serious upgrade with this setup.

..least the lenses are Schneiders...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-28-2008 05:57 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He must be allergic to money! Louis

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2008 07:09 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If its about saving electricity "technalight" could be an option... basically its a retrofit lamphouse that greatly increases your light.

We had our 2000watt lampghouses done (indoor cinema) and now they act like 3000 watts. with large drive in lamps the increase is even greater, 4000watts acting like 7000watts etc.. with a very even and great contrast..very punchy

http://www.robertfilm.com/english.html

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-28-2008 08:18 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He must be allergic to money!
Aren't all theatre owners? [Frown]

So, does the Technilight thing really work? As in, does it give more light per watt without damaging film? Are there any issues with the quality or evenness of the light?

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2008 09:31 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are working on new lenses and yes technalight does work, no he hasn't got technalight but it is an upgrade we are looking at. The lamp house does have a glass reflector.

This guy will spend money unlike many drive-in owners and sorry for the double n I was tried maybe that had something to do with it. They also already figured out they can start earlier than before.

The projector isn't water cooled now but it was in the past and we are looking to set it back up that way in the near future. The previous owner didn't throw anything away he just took the stuff off and put in storage! But there is a lot of stuff in storage!

Monte I like the footstool to be able to get up high enough to do the tread work! I have seen that booth set up before.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-28-2008 09:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a technilite conversion and 5kw lamp its very possible to hit the 20 footlambert level on many a drive inn screen.

Mark

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2008 10:38 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad it is there drive-in and I can't make them spend the money to have everything perfect. All I can do is get them to spend what I can and get the picture and sound as good as I can.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-28-2008 10:42 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of any drive-in that intentionally under-powers their lamps. Anyone who keeps his head above ground level has at least heard that this can be about as hard on a bulb as overpowering it.

It's more likely a problem of not having updated their lamphouses or lenses since the theatre was built (or converted to xenon). There are LOTS of drive-ins that are using old ORC lamphouses. Their 4,000 watt boxes are about as efficient as a 1,800 watt Super Lume-X, and their consoles are worse. Going through some of the online tours, I'm still seeing Panavision and those old B&L anamorphic adapters... light hogs.

There are also a few out there that don't have 3-phase power. I've seen a couple with Xenex lamps, but they have no ambient light problems and their owners think they're just fine.

I have 7kW Big Sky lamps here. So far, I haven't seen anything that beats them... at least not in this application. Switching to Schneider lenses on our big screen made a noticeable difference as well.

This kind of stuff costs money that a lot of drive-in operators can't see putting back into that part of their business. Having done it though, I'm a big believer. There are other drive-ins in our state that our customers can go to, so comparison is possible. If anyone were to tell me that one of those places had a picture that came anywhere close to mine, I'd be going over there to see why pretty fast.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2008 10:50 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack the lamp house isn't underpowered the old one was just to small to get the job done. The 4500 is putting out much better light and it is probable not bright enough but we are working with the limits of the budget they set for me.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-28-2008 10:52 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4500 watts is nothing to sneeze at, Ron, though others here rightly point out you might not be happy with a dark movie.

I didn't see it in your original post... How big is your screen, and what lamphouse are you presently using? Are you fighting light incursions from nearby parking lots?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: