Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Suggestions for Motor & AC Drive for Simplex PR-1014/5-Star

Author Topic: Suggestions for Motor & AC Drive for Simplex PR-1014/5-Star
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-19-2008 02:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for suggestions of what and where to purchase a 3-Phase Motor and a Variable Frequency AC Drive for a Simplex PR-1014 with a 5-Star soundhead.

Input to the motor drive should be 120vac/60Hz/1-phase and output should be 230/240vac 3-phase with about a 1/2 hp rating.

The motor drive should have a Sine-Wave (PWM) output with a stable output and have provisions to set the operational drive frequency and the Acceleration/Deceleration Time.

Please list your suggestions, pro and cons, and links here.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2008 02:12 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check of the VFD on ebay...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-19-2008 10:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the motor, I would go to Strong. The trick is the 1/2" shaft...the motor frame that Simplex uses normally comes with 5/8" shafts and that is a bit large for the 18-tooth pulley that a 5-star prefers.

Strong has the motor that is a drop in replacement to the standard sync motor. Currently, it is Leeson motor...we haven't had any particular problems with them.

For motor controller...there are a slew of them out there but I've been pleased with those from TB Woods and Lenze. My favorite TB Woods, the microdrive has been canned (probably a victum of RoHS)...it was accurate...changed its frequency as need so it ran SUPER quiet (no whine as associated with most inverters) but always had the needed torque.

The Lenze that I've been happy with is from their "SMV" series.

http://www.actech.com/cgi-bin/site.pl?smv~i

I would recommend going to a full HP though for the Simplex or Century. You don't want to over-current the system on start up...once running though...even a 1/4HP will do. Depending on your ramp up speed, 1/2HP will over-current.

Things I like about the SMV...controllable either on its own panel or remotely (can use your standard motor start switch of your chosing), 7 presetable speeds and/or variable, can reconfigure display to read in frames-per-second, seems to be pretty darn accurate...when checking with a strobe, the machines we have used it on run exactly at 24fps with seemingly little or no drift (according to the strobe).

Steve

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2008 07:36 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Currently, it is Leeson motor...we haven't had any particular problems with them.
I greatly prefer the "Leeson" motors over the "Bodine" motors any day! I think they are of a much better quality and seem to have far less issues with over heating.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-20-2008 03:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, thanks for the info! I bought the 1 hp version of the SMV inverter drive as you suggested. From the Lenze website and the SMV series data sheet, it looks to be a really nice unit as well as reasonably priced.

Now, to find a part number and a source for the correct Leeson 3-phase motor that both you and Sean recommend. Oh! And at a reasonable cost! [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: