Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DBX RTA-M microphone for RTA....any thoughts?

Author Topic: DBX RTA-M microphone for RTA....any thoughts?
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-17-2008 04:25 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for a relatively inexpensive RTA mic for use with my neptune audio RTA. I see these DBX mics everywhere for around $100. Has anyone used them or have any suggestions for something else?

Thanks,

JJ

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-17-2008 06:41 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems that are good piece of equipment

review

I can't find it on the dbx website.
Keep in mind that even the best measurement microphone needs to be individually calibrated. If DBX will not provide an individual calibration, think to have it calibrated from someone.

I'm using behringers at the moment. Not the best in reliability.

Marco

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2008 09:31 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use this very mic for my RTA. It gives a relatively good flat response. It is not found on the web-site, this is true, however when I contact DBX about it, they email me a spec sheet on it in pdf format. I use with the built in RTA that is in the USL JSD-80D and get great response. It is phantom powered, I got an ART box 48 V phantom power for it.

I have also used it on our audiocontrol SA-305 and compared it with the mic it comes with, and it compared well.

I can not say it is the best or the worst, it is one of the only mics I have ever used with an RTA. I'm sure their are others mics out there that beat the pants off this mic. I use it in the same house over and over again. Also I am not an expert on B-chain alignments.

I do our in house teching for projection and live sound. I have used it with the DBX driverack RTA with our live system and it works great.

Mike

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2008 01:51 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that price probably plays into it, but the Countryman EMW and B3 mics are less than 200 dollars. These would probably be the best suited for the job.

The R2 analyzer uses EMW mics, whereas the USL MMP-10 uses B6's. I'm not sure what mic the D2 uses.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-18-2008 07:07 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R2 uses levalier microphones! [Smile] I really didn't know.

EMW datasheet

I'm really curious to know which microphones D2 uses.

Marco

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2008 08:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D-2 uses the same mics the R2 uses.

MArk

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-18-2008 10:24 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So curious, they're not listed for sound measurements!

They must be very good microphones.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-18-2008 12:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The D2 now uses a microphone made for Acoustx. They are German made.

http://www.acoustx.us/am1_microphone.html

They still offer the countryman version though.

Steve

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2008 01:54 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AcoustX website states that the microphone is calibrated against a lab mic. How much calibration can be done to the actual mic? Can they tweak it in some way to achieve a flat response?

I like the fact that they offer it with the stand [thumbsup]
I wish the USL kit came with stands, the seat straps and alligator clips aren't the best.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-18-2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to try the DBX. In the end the analyzer isnt all that cutting edge anyway so it should work fine. Unfortunately I will either have to modify my RTA for phantom power or buy a phantom supply.

JJ

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-18-2008 05:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tristan Lane
AcoustX website states that the microphone is calibrated against a lab mic. How much calibration can be done to the actual mic? Can they tweak it in some way to achieve a flat response?
They create an offset file for the R2 or D2...that is the calibration they refer to. They don't actually do anything to the microphone. An R2 or D2 applies this offset file whenever you are looking at the response from the microphone. So, in essence, all of the mics are precisely calibrated as needed (within 1/4 dB), including wideband SPL response.

If you haven't tried one of these systems, you should.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: