Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound card for RTA (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sound card for RTA
Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 09:09 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to replace my external sound card that I use as pre-amplifier for my two measurements microphones I use for Screen setup.

I need a very flat sound card, with excellent performances. USB or Firewire.

On the web I can read all kind of reviews, so I'm not able to understand which is good and which is not.

I was even thinking about the USBPre, used on D2 RTA, but read some issues for that too! [Smile]

I saw some good devices from Edirol, EMU, Tascam...

Can someone give me some suggestions?

Thanks and regards

Marco

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2008 10:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about considering a real 1/3 octave analyzer instead. The new Ivie is not all that expensive and it also does a bunch of other neato stuff. About $1500.00 USD. I didn't care at all for the last Ivie pocket PC gestation of a 1/3 octave analyzer but this time around there are more sensible options available. I guess they learned the hard way. This time they did it right.

Mark

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 12:03 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The M-Audio MobilePre USB is pretty good. I'm not terribly thrilled with its noise performance, but it has very flat frequency response, 48V phantom power, and is fully powered by the USB connection.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 09:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very pleased with the USB Pre that was supplied with the D2 and had no issues with it

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 09:41 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert

I own an M-Audio USB and it's far from perfection... Perhaps it's my particular model, but I really want to try another brand!

Gordon

Read a review on Internet that says that USBPre has some 1000Hz noise on playback. It's a 500$ piece of equipment and I really like to read only positive review! [Smile]

Mark
Good point. I'll check Ivie web and see what they offer.
However, I'm used to use two microphones at the time to have a real time average of the two, by software. However, my actual system seems to have very poor HF accuracy, despite the microphones has been both calibrated.

Thanks

Marco

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 10:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny the whine issue is a complaint on all the usb audio devices he reviewed
The level of whine is well below the noise floor that a room analyzer is worried about and in the case of the usb pre it is only in playback which is not used as an rta

you could also check out
http://www.gold-line.com/tef/t-tefpre.htm

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2008 08:18 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use E-MU 0404 USB card, it have two mike input, balanced with phantom power!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-16-2008 08:00 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EMU 0404 is one of the device I'm watching.

There are lot of devices with two mic input with phantom. My concerns are if these devices are suitable for my needs.

For example, I saw a device from Mackie. Asked to the tech support they told me that it would not be good for me, since it is a device for live recordings and they added a slight raise in high frequencies.

This is why I'm asking.

Thanks

Marco

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2008 01:39 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco,

What program are you using in conjunction with the USB input device?

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
For example, I saw a device from Mackie. Asked to the tech support they told me that it would not be good for me, since it is a device for live recordings and they added a slight raise in high frequencies.

mhmm....kinda stupid thing, why boost up? I think all cards like 0404 and other are flat!

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2008 02:52 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with mark I use an RTA stand alone and it works fine they are not all that expensive. I also still use an Oscilloscope rather than software. It is a bit to lug around but the computer based hardware and software cost are so high and the both these units work so well I see no reason to switch.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-17-2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin

Seems stupid to me too. But that's what Mackie's support said. And that's why I'm asking everywhere for reviews and comments. I'm asking to manufacturers too of course.

I was wrong about the HF raise, they just told me that it has a "distinct colorization" and that it has not "the linear frequency
range you are looking for".

Tristan
I use many: Spectra, Smaart, TrueRTA...

Marco

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2008 02:04 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SpectraRTA allows you to make a microphone compensation file based on the response curve of the microphone used. I've never used the other two you mentioned. I use SpectraRTA exclusively now in conjunction with a USL mmp-10 4 mic.

My personal preference for RTA's has been a laptop based system. Whether it is an R2, D2, or other program. The input devices I used were always high quality, and I preferred to work with a 4 mic setup rather than a single. The laptop based programs can also average the response on the readout so you get a much better idea of overall room response when cycling through microphones.

Overall I think much of what someone uses depends on what they are comfortable with. I've heard about many techs that still swear by the Abacus / O-scope. If that tool provides them with the best results, then why change I guess. It all comes down to listening to the room when you are done.

I packed an IE-30 as well for quick checks or to use in a pinch.

Mark, remember: All Ivies past the IE-30 are essentially the same as a laptop based system. All of the analyzing is done within the software running on windows. The hardware portion is providing a clean input for their mic. It's gotten even closer to that with the IE-45, which is just a Samsung Q1 UMPC. But, their software is top-notch and provides all the bells and whistles needed for a cinema tech.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-18-2008 02:59 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, SpectraRTA is a pretty nifty program to use...very easy to to work with and it does the job needed.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-18-2008 06:52 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi tristan

Yes, Spectra has compensation. I have my microphones checked and I have a compensation files for them but seems that my sound card has trouble so I have to replace it.
And I want to start with a flat one, to reduce the software compensation at minimum.

Sound check with a known reel at the end is a must, don't worry!

I would buy a D2 for sure, I will do when/if my business activity will justify it. [Smile]

Thanks

Marco

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: