Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reel of Indiana Jones in Narnia (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Reel of Indiana Jones in Narnia
Donna Sylvester
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 12:42 AM      Profile for Donna Sylvester   Author's Homepage   Email Donna Sylvester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked at my print of Narnia and saw two reels (3&9) tails up. Reel 9 was imprinted on the film T-9 NARNIA, but the small white piece of paper adhered said INDIANA JONES! When I rewound the film I discovered it is actually reel 7 of INDIANA JONES. I saw Harrison Ford wearing his same old hat. The film head was imprinted with the correct I.J. title.

Technicolor is at a loss as to how it happened, especially since INDIANA JONES is a DFS print. The lab must have screwed up. I just hope someone doesn't get a locked up INDIANA JONES print that has a NARNIA reel in it by mistake. There wouldn't be time for the correct reel to arrive.

Check your reels carefully.

I did post this on another site, but thought it important to get the word out in case there are other similar print mixups.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-15-2008 01:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why prints need to be inspected and screened with plenty of time to obtain replacements before the first public showing.

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 01:55 AM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with preventing piracy and everything to do with pushing digital cinema. They are trying to make film prints the biggest pain in the arse that they can to help convince theatre owners to go digital to avoid the hassle.

I would also assume that the "average" theatre will crack under the pressure of time and have sloppy build-ups and lots of angry customers complaining about bad framing, scratches, etc due to not having time to screen prints. Well guess what? That would never happen if you had a digital projector!

It doesn't take a genius to know that all of the piracy is done from the inside during post production. The quality of bootlegs these days are amazing. Gone are the days of the hand-held camcorder bootlegs, they are all dvd quality now and everyone knows that every projection booth in the world has the transfer equipment necessary to produce dvd bootlegs! [Roll Eyes]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 03:15 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd more call it a lab goof since both releases were processed by Technicolor labs.

Since they spin out thousands of feet of film a minute, someone in QA fell asleep at the switch.

Even DeLuxe can do the same goof from time to time...

[ 05-15-2008, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 03:16 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks you chose the wrong thread. Obviously, a printing mistake giving you a reel for a different movie doesn't get rid of piracy.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 03:18 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
Even if every theatre signed on to convert every screen to digital today, it would still take a good 3-4 years to get everyone installed. Between equipment and technician bottlenecks, there is no way that the conversion to digital can be done within a short amount of time.

And I disagree with your assessment of the purpose not being to stop piracy. While the locks are not going to affect the determined pirate, the bean counters and policy makers can use them as "proof" they are doing something about the problem. Besides, if it was really about creating an inconvenience, why didn't we see locks on Drillbit Taylor or The Ruins.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 10:25 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Donna Sylvester
Reel 9 was imprinted on the film T-9 NARNIA, but the small white piece of paper adhered said INDIANA JONES! When I rewound the film I discovered it is actually reel 7 of INDIANA JONES. I saw Harrison Ford wearing his same old hat. The film head was imprinted with the correct I.J. title.
Donna, you contradict yourself in this paragraph. First you say the reel was imprinted "T-9 NARNIA," but then later on you say the film leader was "imprinted with the correct I.J. title." Which is it?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! You have exposed the bittorent of 35mm film piracy!

Somebody at the lab or depot "accidentally" scrambles the reels in certain shipments of key movies and sends them out to a series of predetermined theaters who are ALSO receiving a legitimate copy of the same movie.

The film pirates receive the target print in UNLOCKED CANS and reassemble them from various sources to get one complete print, BEFORE the official release.

Then, when the print has been telecined and uploaded to the torrent it is placed back in the cans it was originally SUPPOSED to be in and sent back. Nobody is the wiser.

Now that everybody knows that only reels 1, 3,5, etc. are sent in locked cans the job is half done. The other half is being sent in the clear. They only have to divert half the reels.

One last thing... Please be aware that this post was made with tongue planted firmly in cheek. [Wink]

Donna Sylvester
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 11:05 AM      Profile for Donna Sylvester   Author's Homepage   Email Donna Sylvester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tail is imprinted T-9 Narnia, while the head is imprinted H-7 Indiana Jones.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 01:18 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schulz
I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with preventing piracy and everything to do with pushing digital cinema. They are trying to make film prints the biggest pain in the arse that they can to help convince theatre owners to go digital to avoid the hassle.
That would be pretty stupid, since I doubt there are many owners who handle film, and those that do probably don't have the budget for digital rollout.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 03:30 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Schultz...

I'm pretty sure if the idea were a push for D-Cinema, this particular release would not be available in digital ONLY if you don't have 35mm equipment. If you have dual-projection systems (35mm & Digital), you MUST play 35mm, save for extraordinary circumstances (i.e. your biggest houses are Digital only).

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 05:34 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will be playing Jones in 35mm AND digital. We have to play the 35mm screens, but we also have digital screens booked.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My reel 8 of Narnia has no tail on it, it has a lab splice and piece of film but no markings it also had two large circle cuts in the center of a couple of frames a few frames from the end of the printed material. I have no idea if the reel is complete or not. The Lion is talking to one of the kids or Caspain but not sure who it is cutting between lion and male actor! I guess I'm calling Technicolor now! [Frown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, this Narnia thing sounds like the world's sloppiest lab and/or exchange work. My reels are at least labeled correctly. Will watch for other problems.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-15-2008 06:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope the Indy prints won't be just as messed up. Kind of hard to get an acceptable replacement reel(s) when you can't unlock the cans until the same day it shows.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: