Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Indiana Jones prints are locked (here we go AGAIN) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Indiana Jones prints are locked (here we go AGAIN)
Ben Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 02:17 PM      Profile for Ben Goodman   Email Ben Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Paramount Pictures “INDIANA JONES and THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL” will be delivered to your theatre by Wednesday May 21.

We are taking special security precautions to protect the film from any possible piracy issues. The Locked Can contains Reels 1, 5, 6, & 7, and the other Unlocked Can contains enclosure trailers, Reels 2, 3, & 4, projectionist letter, and this instruction letter.

The Combination Code will be available beginning Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 12pm (EST)

Etc etc etc. This is even worse than Iron Man-- the movie comes out on Thursday, so if you want to screen all of your prints you have to cancel quite a few shows, probably during the prime hours, and you have to get all the prints slapped together pretty quickly. Ugh. I guess it's no surprise with Paramount...

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 02:42 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, which reel of Iron Man featured Pepper Potts entering the door combination that happened to be the film can combination? Was it one of the reels in the unlocked can? [Smile]

--jhawk

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 04:40 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No surprise. I kinda expected it being that its a Paramount release. I think we should expect it on all their big releases from here out.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least this time we're building up the same day for midnight shows rather than 8:00pm shows. But hopefully there won't be any issues with the film getting there on time.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 06:23 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
At least this time we're building up the same day for midnight shows rather than 8:00pm shows. But hopefully there won't be any issues with the film getting there on time.
And hopefully they do not eventually add that 8pm show. We were originally only going to play a midnight of Iron Man, but eventually added the 8 o'clock later on.

And hopefully Ben didn't just type this up to screw with us. [Big Grin]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 09:06 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
At least this time we're building up the same day for midnight shows rather than 8:00pm shows.
Except that now the cans will be locked until 12pm, making it virtually impossible for us to screen it, since we'll already be open for business.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-13-2008 09:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carey Barber
And hopefully Ben didn't just type this up to screw with us.
Nope, it is real...and NATO won't do a godamn thing about it except stand by and watch as everyone takes it in the ass like the good bitches we all are.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 11:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The higher-up NATO people may not even know about it. And they damn sure don't read Film-Tech. How many of you guys have written to NATO about it?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 11:37 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, my boss is on the NATO of California/Nevada board. So I know the know. And he knows John Fithian well, so I'm sure he's talked to John about the issue if he's had the opportunity.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 11:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But does he have anything to do with film? A good friend of mine (Ayron Pickerill) is on the NATO board. She and her husband own 22 screens in Montana and Idaho, but she probably hasn't touched movie film her whole career. I'd wager she doesn't even know about the locks on the cans because she has nothing to do with the booth.

If EVERYONE on this board who is mad about the locks would write a letter to NATO, I'll bet it would get some attention. Go ahead, prove me wrong.

Ben Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2008 01:27 AM      Profile for Ben Goodman   Email Ben Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: "Corey Barber"
And hopefully they do not eventually add that 8pm show. We were originally only going to play a midnight of Iron Man, but eventually added the 8 o'clock later on.

And hopefully Ben didn't just type this up to screw with us. [Big Grin]

I'm not that cruel. Most of the time, at least...

My GM told me that there would definitely not be 8 pm shows, so at least we don't have to rush to slap together all the prints in time... I'll definitely say that if I had a choice of what to cancel to screen it, I would cancel some Iron Man shows. Paramount can deal with the lost revenue.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-14-2008 01:31 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Mike, he deals with film. He may not build up movies, but he threads at least a few times a week and does much o f the projector maintenance as well as most of the normal repairs. We have two locations: the one I manage and the one he manages. He may not deal with all the day to day operations, but he is on site on a daily basis. Plus, I have communicated my concerns over the locks. Trust me when I say he is not just a suit who doesn't know anything about what actually happens in the theatres.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-14-2008 05:27 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, when was the last time that NATO actually did anything useful? From what I can tell, they don't seem to do much that actually helps exhibitors.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2008 06:01 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Psst. the code is: up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right,B,A,B,A, start. [thumbsup]

Just hope that one of the reuqired cans isn't delayed until after the 1st showtime. Had that happen with one of the football movies, I forget which. The can containing the 1st 3 reels arrived right at showtime, in the back of a beat up old pickup truck. Woohoo, thank you benton.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-14-2008 11:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's the came combination for Contra! [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: