Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Core-only film shipment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Core-only film shipment
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received a film shipment sans-reels, which is something I've never encountered. Stranger still, the cores don't have holes through them, so I can't use any of the spare shipping reels I have in the booth. Here's a pic. Have any of you come across something like this before? How did you build it up?

Also, I called the distributor, and they're completely clueless. In fact, I think this is their first theatrically distributed film. I also phoned the last theater that showed the print, and all they could tell me was that the projectionist who built it up and broke it down won't be in until Thursday, and that it took him a couple days to build it up properly. What a joke.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 02:02 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a split reel....we get films on cores all the time... Its a cheaper way to send a film rather then heavy cans on reels.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 02:02 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would use a split-reel to build that. It's a two-piece reel that has a screw-together hub in the middle that fits into the core and your theatre supplies dealer almost surely sells them.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 02:13 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed they do. I've got one coming to me direct from Goldberg. Hopefully it will arrive here this week. Unfortunately, that won't be in time for me to build it up. I think if I'm incredibly careful, and go super slow, I can use our trailer reel to get the job done.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 02:17 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As everyone is suggesting get a split reel or a film flange. We get many films on cores from labs around the world a year for special screenings. That distributor did not want to pay the extra money to have the lab mount the film on reels. That's all it amounts too.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should I be getting a 1000' or 2000' split reel?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 02:24 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a 2000 foot one, which would be like a regular size reel. The 1000 foot ones work but you will have alot over hanging.

Joop de Gruiter
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 02:25 PM      Profile for Joop de Gruiter   Email Joop de Gruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All prints in Sweden are distributed in this way. I think most European countries if not most countries outside the USA use this method. A split-reel would be a good investment in the booth.

A short term solution would be to try and take out the cores and replace them with the type of cores with holes that you mention so you can attach the flanges.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 02:33 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't try popping the core out, If it's a tight core. It would make your job so much longer, doing that.

His booth might be better equipped to handle films shipped in on cores, than the standard (less equipped booth) of the US type theatre chains.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 02:37 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're really careful, you can drill a hole in the core. Just make sure it is securely held and start with a small pilot hole. That's probably what I'd do if I didn't have a split reel handy...

--jhawk

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 03:52 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Split reels are cheaper from your dealer.....we get a discount. Louis

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 04:49 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with John. I would pull out a drill and make holes so you can use your whatever plastic split reels you have.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 05:20 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the picture, it almost looks like someone pulled out the 4" core that the film was wound onto, and put a 3" core in it's place. There is space between the core and the film, but I don't know if there is enough space to make up the difference between the 4" and 3" core.

If what I have said above is the case, and this print was on a platter, with the heads and tail cut, you may be able to remove the 3" core, then if you remove the tail leader, you may be able to put a 4" core into the center of the film, and mount it on a take-apart-reel. If there is a little space left, put a short piece of old film at the end of the reel, so that you don't scratch the end of the reel. Good luck.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 05:38 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a spare 2000' reel and trailer flange you should be able to put it the trailer flange and wind it onto your spare reel. Our Kelmar trailer flange also has a small screw removable screw that engages the slot in that core so you can wind it back onto the shipping cores, of course, the finished reel won't be as neatly wound for shipping back out, but it works.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-13-2008 05:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are there theatres that don't have split reels? Doesn't everyone get a print on cores from time to time? That seems to be the standard shipping configuration outside the US.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: