Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Print drops out of Dolby Digital at beginning (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Print drops out of Dolby Digital at beginning
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-11-2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" because all you big city guys have all the "Iron Man" prints! [Big Grin]

Everything runs fine in digital right up through the end of the trailers, thru the Dolby Digital "train" tag, and then at the very beginning of the feature, you hear this loud "motorboating" type sound from the speakers for about 1/2 of a second and then it flops to analog and stays there for the whole movie, indicating "F" on the CP650.

I've remade the splice between tag and feature (even though it looked fine) and stood by watching the machine when it runs -- nothing seems or sounds amiss.

I think my next step will be to remove the Universal logo footage to give the feature a new 'starting point' and see if that works, unless anybody has some alternate ideas. (I would just remove a few frames before the logo starts, but some bonehead in a previous theatre cut off nearly all of the black before the image begins, so I'd rather have no logo at all than a chopped off one.)

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-11-2008 01:30 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is such a thing as a bad reel. You could remove reel one while you are off screen and then run trailers then reel 2. If OK, then reel 1 is bad. Alternatively. reboot the CP-650 after reel 2 starts and see how it goes. Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-11-2008 02:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to reboot it mid-show and have the sound continue to play in "standby" mode?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-11-2008 02:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It will play in mono-bypass mode once you hit the front panel power button. (There is no volume adjustment for this, so hopefully your tech preset this.) The CP650 will probably keep you there for about a minute during the reboot process.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-11-2008 03:42 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
was this a new or used print? If used the whole DD track could hae a scratch going through it.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-11-2008 04:46 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I wrong or the Bypass level of CP650 can be adjusted rotating the volume knob, even if the display does not indicate anything?

Of course the initial bypass level is set by the "bypass" trimpot on the front.

The only issue is that at the end of the reboot the 650 (at least my 2.2.5.0 release) will test the 6ch input and analog projector inputs, removing the sound for a second or two.

I think that even the worst splice in the world cannot force your CP in "F" more than half a second. I suppose that if other reels and trailers work properly, the SRD soundtrack at the beginning of the reel is faulty.

Marco

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-11-2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect more that it is defective all the way through the entire print.
Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-11-2008 10:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a used print, but I don't see any visible scratches. I took a very close look at the first few feet of film and found some leftover gunk from an old lighting cue that I missed before...A little Film-guard took that off and it still is not playing in digital, but at least that stopped the wierd motorboat sound at the very beginning.

We have a pretty good crowd tonight so I'm not going to try rebooting the machine mid-show, but will try it during the end credits and see if it works and how it behaves. If that works, I'll do it when reel 2 begins tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-12-2008 06:26 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I don't see any visible scratches.
A few years ago I had a new print come back from the Toronto Film Festival. Other than being plattered it looked in good shape. Well less than a minute into it it popped into SR from SRD for the rest of the show. (I'm change-over house) After reel one got off the number one machine I took it over to the bench and with a photo lupe looked at the SRD track. It had a very small nicks on the track, but to the regular eye it look fine. The rest of the film reels were damaged.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-12-2008 07:25 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SRD decoding can be performed with an heavy scratch if the scratch is at the center of the SRD square. If there is, say, a very very small scratch on the edge of the SRD square (that damages the corners of the SRD data) the processor will probably drop to analog.

I had prints with so very small damages, but in the wrong place, that faults continuously. Others with heavy scratches at the center of the SRD data block that just read high but does not faults.

Hope this can help.

Marco

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2008 08:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still sticking to a completely bad srd track on this print. If the previews play fine in digital then the print has to be bad.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-12-2008 09:36 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mark is right -- it's the whole print. I rebooted the machine during the end credits last night and it went right back to analog again.

I'll get out the ol' magnifying glass tonight and see if I can see anything.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2008 10:05 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definately order a new print, and tell them that you recieved the print like this.

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2008 11:42 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once got a print where the SRD-Track was badly aligned. Since it was the only Print playing in SRD and the rest in DTS, I changed the lateral Position of the CCD on my Cat.700. And voila, it played with a nice 3-4, had to realign everything though for the following Week.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-12-2008 12:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
order a new print,
I would, except we are only booked thru Wednesday, and the new print wouldn't arrive until then! I could "overnight" it here for tomorrow, but that would likely cost more than we will gross for the two days put together.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: