Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » On a Simplex 1050, what's a solution for the film gate screws vibrating loose?

Author Topic: On a Simplex 1050, what's a solution for the film gate screws vibrating loose?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-09-2008 03:08 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having to tighten the film gate screws on 2 houses after almost every show. Even with the gate closed, I would imagine this has to throw the focus off slightly.

I've also had problems with the hex head screw that's just to the right of the film trap (if you were looking at it face on). In the past this screw has moved just enough that the gate will close too far and cause the pivot to lock. I've got the screw backed out enough to stop the pivot problem, but I've had difficulty getting the focus dialed in to my satisfaction. Any thoughts?

[ 05-11-2008, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Justin Hamaker ]

|  IP: Logged

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2008 06:03 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried loc-tite? If you ever need to loosen it later-on acetone works great.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2008 08:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately Loc-Tite but ONLY use the blue "medium strength" stuff. If you use the red "High Strength" stuff it'll never come apart if you want it to!

quote: Justin Hamaker
Any thoughts?

Yes! A Christie P-35GPS is the best solution. They don't fall apart whilst running.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-09-2008 07:14 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the screw backed out enough to stop the pivot problem, but I've had difficulty getting the focus dialed in to my satisfaction. Any thoughts?
Do you mean the focus is drifting, or is it a lens focus ring issue?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-09-2008 08:20 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Do you mean the focus is drifting, or is it a lens focus ring issue?
When I backed out that screw it changed the gap between the film gate and the film trap. I've tried messing with it and I either get it to tight and wind up getting wax all over the projector. Or it's too loose and the focus is soft. I don't think it's an issue with the lens.

The best I can tell, the hex screw I'm talking about serves no other purpose than to control how far the film gate closes.

[ 05-10-2008, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: Justin Hamaker ]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-09-2008 11:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's exactly its function. I adjust it so the intermittent pad shoe just contacts the sprocket, and just a little more. Not much more, though. You might have to go back and forth a couple times to get it just right, it's a trial and error thing.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-10-2008 01:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, it's called a "gate stop allen screw" and it's a PITA to get right - as Tim mentions.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2008 02:03 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there supposed to be a jam-nut on the set-screw to keep it from vibrating loose? My recollection seems to be that there is.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-10-2008 05:55 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tristan is right. Look in another projector or th emanual. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-10-2008 08:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..none of my 18, 1050's have that jam nut on that allen bolt..just that they are really snugged in their respective threaded holes real good.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2008 02:23 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. My 12 1050s are snug.
Interestingly, I wasn't even aware of that screw even being there until this thread came up: We've been having one of our film traps "overextend" and require fiddling to get it situated right. Adjusting that screw fixed the problem.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2008 03:49 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I probably thinking of the adjustment screw for the 1060 or Millennium projector. To be honest, I can't picture exactly which screw Justin is referring to. It seems he is talking about two different things in his original post.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-11-2008 06:15 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tristan Lane
It seems he is talking about two different things in his original post.
Tristan, I am talking about two different things. The first is the large thumb screws that hold the film gate in place. These are intended to be easily removed for routine cleaning.

The second is a black hex head screw that's behind the film trap. It controls how far the film gate can close.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-11-2008 06:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tighten the film gate screws on 2 houses after almost every show
I'm sure that there is at least one of us that have to contend with this situation on a daily basis out there in "XL" land. Welcome to the group.

Even when I ran a changeover house with XL's that I had to re-snug up the knurls between each reel change.

There are times when I visit my locations with the 1050's that I find a knurl or two on the floor due, or at least all of them loose to the booth clowns not checking this small thing out when threading up projectors-and this is from telling them time after time to check this out when doing their thread-ups.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: