Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is the proper loop size for a Century projector? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is the proper loop size for a Century projector?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-06-2008 03:28 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It dawned on me tonight that I have never tried to find the proper "loop" size for a Century projector. I've been operating two of these machines for about 3 years. Prior to that I had always operated Simplex 1050s or Simplex Millenniums.

I understand the purpose of the loops and I know that too big can cause scratches too small can actually pull open gates. I have never had either problem on the two Centurys I operate, but I would like to know what is the proper size. I don't know the exact model, but looking through the manuals on FT, the MSC looks right.

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 06:18 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that you can set the top loop by opening the pad roller and loosely wrapping the film around it. I do the same thing with the bottom loop but make it a sprocket hole or two larger. I prefer smaller loops. A lot of co-workers over the years complained that I made my loops too small but my machines ran quieter, I had less threading problems, and never got those annoying "standing" scratches on any of the prints I ran. When I would come in on a day off I would see all the loops slapping around the top of the machines, getting scratched, and running louder than the engine on my old Camaro!

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 08:05 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An old Century tech once told me that the pad rollers were meant to be the reference point for setting the loops (maybe by design or by accident, only the original engineers know).

To set the proper loop size under the intermittent I originally counted frames from the aperture to the solar cell - this verified the proper lower loop . . . . I found that if I inserted my finger inline with the shoe pivot and thumb stud it gave the right loop which was slightly larger than loosely around the pad roller. The mylar leader I used had numbers on it and there were indicators where the soundtrack was - i.e. threading with a number at the aperture you would have a diamond on the frame at the solar cell.

I also found the same thing as Sean - with proper loop size the Century would run quieter.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-06-2008 08:07 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the original manual, the open pad roller arms gauged the loop size.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many ways can three people say the same thing [Big Grin] [Wink] [Wink] [Razz] [beer]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 12:05 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fellow who trained me "all those years ago" told me "2 fingers for the loop". After my first few threads, "2 fingers, James. Not your whole fist."

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 12:29 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
How many ways can three people say the same thing
LOL . . . . . The triumvirate has spoken, it is law . . . . at least we didn't have 3 conflicting answers like most questions do.

I was also originally taught 2 fingers, but after a little learning found 1 to be more inline with the proper distance from picture to sound reader (at least with my fingers).

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 04:06 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that even if your teachers two fingers created the perfect loop I bet your two fingers, and my two fingers, and brads two fingers are all different sizes which throws any consistency out the window! "2 Finger Rule" = Wrong! [Wink] [Big Grin] [Razz]

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 04:57 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, after a little experience I realized how inconsistent 2 fingers was and started studying on my own . . . . that's why I always taught my "students" that the analog soundtrack is 21 frames ahead and they should learn for themselves how to get the proper distance between picture and sound (some people's "2 finger" methods would end up with 22 frames) . . . . . we also always used leader with a countdown and with 10 at the aperture there was a diamond on the frame at the sound reader (the number 10 was also the 7 second point for dowser open timing on automation start).

Another key thing on the Century was returning the framing to center if you had to adjust for a bad splice.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-06-2008 05:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
How many ways can three people say the same thing
I didn't see it that way.

You said, "I have found..." which indicated you weren't sure if it was the "right" way or not. Then, David said, "An old Century tech once told me..." denoting second-hand information that could've been a wive's tale for all he knew.

I referenced the manual for a definitive answer. [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-07-2008 12:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note on the Century pad roller thing...it is up to the Tech or <gulp> the factory to set how far the pad roller arm swings open...so your loops may vary.

Steve

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-07-2008 02:39 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a closer look at this at work today and realize that my top loop was about right, but my bottom loop has been probably 2-3 frames too big. I'm glad I asked this question.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-07-2008 02:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
An easy rule of thumb with Centurys is to say that with the lower loop in its smallest position (just before the pulldown of the next frame) the distance from the inside of the loop to the intermittent shoe pivot point should be just big enough to stick a Sharpie marker in there.

Most people make that loop WAAAAAAAAY too big.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-07-2008 06:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that if the bottom loop size is correct, it won't bounce up and down like mad but tend to hold its shape like a Simplex will.

Steve

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2008 02:26 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I guess you're right tim. I was under the impression that only the Century "C" manual said that about the loops which was why I was unsure of saying "according to the manual."

I have found, [Smile] on Simplex machines that making your loops so that they come between the top of the "bolt" in the middle of the sprocket in it's lowest position and level with the top of the sprocket in it's largest position worked well, and ran very quiet.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: