Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Focus/anamorphic test films? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Focus/anamorphic test films?
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-04-2008 07:41 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I needed to reset the throw on one of our anamorphic lenses in a hurry, and I wasn't really sure what the best test film to use was.

I started off with 35-AT (Cinemascope Projector Alignment), but the lines were not very fine at all, and I didn't feel that I could guarantee the focus was as sharp as I would like it to be. I switched to 35-FA (Focus & Alignment--Visual Test), which has a decent grid, but I still was not all that satisfied. Then I switched to some 35-IQ, hoping the resolution targets would be good, but they were really not convenient for doing this.

Is there a good test film that's recommended for anamorphic astigmatism adjustments? Ideally something with a lot of vertical and horizontal lines at varying spacings, i.e. very large resolution test targets?

(If I'd had a spotting scope, or a pair of binoculars handy, then perhaps the 35-IQ targets would have been good enough).

Looking at the sample image of CLT-2000, it doesn't look like it's really what I want either, but it may well be better than any of the other choices.

Thanks.

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-04-2008 07:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is called 35-PA, or more commonly known as RP40.

Don't forget your binoculars. They are a must to do the job properly.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-04-2008 08:03 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35IQ is the color version of RP40 (it has the same pattern as 35PA).

Squares aren't as nice to focus on as lines.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-04-2008 08:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to use the regular PA35 for this, as I find it makes precise focusing easier as I also look for color fringing to get everything dead perfect. With binoculars, you will be looking at the small squares of horizontal lines in each corner to set initial projector focus and then the small squares of vertical lines to set your astigmatism. You don't actually set the focus on the checkerboard squares.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-04-2008 10:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too use 35PA for this though the Schneider film will work too. I have not found the need for binocs to set astigmatism as there is a sweet spot where it really comes in.

If you defocus the anamoph to either extreme and then focus the image to bring the HORIZONTAL lines into crisp focus, you can then bring the anamorph into critical focus pretty easily (start by concentrating on the diamond in the middle. Once you convince yourself that it has perfectly focused cross-hairs, then go on to check the remaining targets (resolution) and verify uniform focus and that you can't make them any better (without making more worse).

Generally, with decent lenses that have low chromatic abberations, color fringing around the sqaures in 35-PA indicates less than optimum lamphouse/lamp alignment with the lens.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-04-2008 10:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But with binoculars you can tweek things to perfection. [Smile] Plus if you have a turret and gate like the Christie projector has, you can really dial in perfect focus in all corners with the binoculars.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-05-2008 08:47 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our large house (130 feet from the screen) binoculars are a must. The Simplex XLs have the focusing monocular mounted on the front of the projector but the optics in them are very poor contrast compaired to what you can get today with even inexpensive binoculars. I fancied that if I looked around, I might be able to get replacement lens elements maybe from a place like Edmund Scientific, but never really persued it due to time. I've left them on the projectors just cause they look so cool.

They are not really any good for anamorphic alignment because they are fixed to the body of the projector and cac see only one spot on the screen; you can't move them to see anyplace else.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-05-2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of these thoughts are correct.

However, remember to focus the prime les first with no anamorphic attached. Then add the anamorphic. If you are focusing two lenses at a time, you are chasing your tail! Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-05-2008 07:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG, did Louis just say something incorrect???

Maybe Louis has a special procedure here. I can't imagine him being wrong since I don't think I have ever seen a post from him that was not accurate, but Louis...how exactly are you supposed to focus the prime lens, then remove it from the lens collar or turret to attach the anamorphic and miraculously maintain focus of the prime lens once you have reassembled and remounted everything?

Blurring the hell out of the astigmatism adjustment, using the projector's focus to get the horizontal lines into perfect focus and then without touching the projector's focus using the astigmatism adjustment to bring the vertical lines into focus is the proper procedure.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2008 08:29 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing. I've not ever heard of this.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2008 08:38 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done it - tricky part is ending up with a picture square on the screen after the anamorphic is attached (I was never taught the procedure detailed on this site).

Louis could also be talking about some of the old lens changers where the turret switched between a magnifier and anamorphic - the prime lens was always in place.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-05-2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You focus the prime lens alone and leave it in place. Then carefully screw on the anamorp until almost tight; then focus the anamorp as described by others above. Lock astig ring tightly.

Finally disassemble, tighten and refocus the entire lens as a unit.

Again, you cannot focus the prime lens and the anamorphic correction at the same time. This is a divergent operation; best to focus only one at a time un til the anamorphic correction is finalized. Louis

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-05-2008 09:21 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Louis, Schneider's instructions disagree. (They also disagree with Brad). They recommend roughly setting the anamorphic, then setting the prime, then fine-tuning the anamorphic, and if necessary repeating the process.

I don't see why it should be the case that it should matter much; Whatever is easier for the user...

Schneider's catalog (pdf)

p.19, for their ES-Cinelux integrated anamorphic:

quote:

1. The projection distance is roughly set on the side scale by turning the FOCUS hexagon socket head screw with the supplied Allen wrench.
2. While the test film CLT is running, the projection image for the horizontal structures (lines) is focused using the standard focusing device of the lens holder or of the lens revolver of the projector. The marginal zone of the projection image must also be considered.
3. If the vertical structures (lines) are not yet fully in focus, the Allen wrench should be used to adjust the FOCUS screw for
fine focusing. If the horizontal structures go out of focus while doing this, steps 2 and 3 should be repeated.

p. 21 for their anamorphic attachments (including the reverse anamorphic, so the instructions are a bit weird):
quote:

Focusing the attachment
Unlike a normal lens, an anamorphic lens is not rotationally symmetrical: The WACinelux Anamorphic 2x leaves the vertical projection angle unchanged and stretches the horizontal angle considerably, as if the focal length of the base lens had been
halved, so that the image width is double.
In contrast, the Tele-Cinelux Anamorphic leaves the horizontal projection angle unchanged and narrows the vertical angle, as
if the focal length of the base lens had been doubled, which halves the projection image height. You therefore have to focus
and lock the focus as follows:
1. Loosen locking screw of the ring.
2. Use the knurled adjustment ring of the anamorphic lens to roughly set the projection distance on the side scale.
3. The lens is focused using the focusing
device of the projector: to the horizontal image structures with the WA-Cinelux and to the vertical structures (e.g. lines of
the test film) with the Tele-Cinelux.
4. Use the adjustment ring of the anamorphic lens to set the focus to the respectively other image structures. If the previously focused image structures go out of
focus, repeat steps 2 and 3.
5. Tighten locking screw.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-06-2008 12:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Again, you cannot focus the prime lens and the anamorphic correction at the same time. This is a divergent operation; best to focus only one at a time until the anamorphic correction is finalized. Louis
Nobody is suggesting to try and adjust both at the same time. I am all for being even more anal on an alignment, so can you please tell me why is this obviously way more time consuming procedure better than the way I described? I cannot imagine how difficult it has got to be to deal with the anamorphic in this way...and what about integrated anamorphics?

By the way, nobody here has mentioned the importance of making sure the projector is absolutely level via the flat lens before even considering making an adjustment to the astigmatism on the scope lens. After all, if the projector is slightly unlevel, even if the anamorphic is rotated so that it appears to be level on screen...the astigmatism adjustment no matter how careful it is adjusted will not be precise and the focus will suffer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-06-2008 02:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad's method and its also the only way one can adjust boresight and convergence to perfection on a D-Cinema projector. The main thing is that you need to have very high quality binoculars and or a spotting scope... one that has minimum chromatic abberation when viewing through it.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: