Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Building Up and Breaking Down Film. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Building Up and Breaking Down Film.
Raymond Christie
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2008 02:23 PM      Profile for Raymond Christie   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Christie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long should it take to build up a film? (6 reel for example)

How long should it take to break it down? (6 reel)

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2008 02:33 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever Technicolor or Deluxe calls inquiring when we can have a print ready for Courier pick-up on Thursday night, I check when the movie is scheduled to end and estimate 5 minutes per reel for tear-down and 5 minutes to set-up the table.
Example: Superhero Movie, 5 reels long. Ends at 12:00 midnight.
"We'll have it ready by half-past midnight."
Build-up time depends on whether one builds up on 6000 foot reels or out of the can, and thus is too variable for me to estimate.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-03-2008 03:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Building up film depends on how you do it.

If you build up properly (properly meaning with a Goldberg platter reel, then a typical 6 reel movie by someone with reasonable experience can be done from cans to platter ready to run in 20 minutes. Someone without as much experience may take 45 minutes to do it.

If you are building "old school" style like this where you build the first half to a 6K reel, rewind, then start loading while you build the second half to another 6K reel, then load, depending on your platter and experience this could take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

If you are building "old school like a retard" style where you build each shipping reel direct to the platter, you just suck. It will take about the same time as the 6K method above, only that your film handling will suffer.

Any theater without a Goldberg platter reel really should just shut down.

Breaking down - I usually tell the courier 30 minutes if it is a late pickup and there will be issues with the front doors being locked. If it is a 7pm showing for a security print, I tell them an hour because when it ends the projectionist may have to be dealing with other movies starting and such. Having the print ready early=fine. Not having the print at the agreed upon time=unfair to the courier.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-03-2008 07:36 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Related to what Brad's saying:
Lately, we've had couriers show up at random times to pick up a print because someone will tell the courier company a specific time it'll be available and the actual courier is never relayed that information and just told to show up at a vague "mid-day", "early evening" , etc.

Ben Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2008 12:29 AM      Profile for Ben Goodman   Email Ben Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To break down a regular 6 reel film, assuming you're keeping the trailers, a standard time for someone who knows what they're doing would probably be about half an hour (or a little less). For someone who's just learning how to do a breakdown and/or misses splices, it's probably about 45 minutes.

As for buildup, I speak from the corporate environment with the analog preshow. Infinite prefeature snipes (most of which don't have framelines)-- fandango, coke ads, tech ads, etc-- plus 6 trailers per print takes a while to build up. I'm not that great at it so it takes be about an hour to an hour and a half. Our most experienced booth guy, who's been building prints for 30 years, can have them completely together within 45 minutes.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-04-2008 03:08 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a 6 reel film that is all heads out it takes me about an hour from cracking the can to starting the second 6000' reel winding on the platter (I sent my boss the info on the Goldberg reels). If the print is all tales out then it takes about 15 minutes less. If it's mixed heads and tales then it all depends on which reels are which.

It probably takes me a bit longer than the times mentioned above because I don't crank the winding table all the way to top speed and I stop to remove the glue splices (I hate the way they look on screen).

For breakdown it takes me about 3 minutes per reel as long as I don't have to take apart any of the reels to reposition the core and I don't have any problems finding splices. But I will usually allow 30-45 minutes when I have to break down for a courier because I am also the manager and I have other duties on Thursday night.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2008 03:59 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked at the Goldberg Platter Reel and I certainly wished I had at least 3 of those in my booth. Those would certainly make things easier in my booth when building, etc. I'm gonna have to talk with my managers about this one and see what they say.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2008 04:07 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually takes me 1 and a half to 2 hours ( more toward 2 hours ), but our small booth ( 9 screens ) runs only 1 person at a time so that includes threading / starting along with the building. Break down is about a half an hour.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2008 05:51 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
If you are building "old school like a retard" style
::sigh:: That'd be the way I was taught, and good at it too (as much as one can be). When its taught to you as the preferred (by that person who was teaching), you learn how to get it down to an art. I got it to where there was minimal-no buckling after the ring was pulled out, with minimal static, and smooth splices (most others couldn't hear the splice go through). Yes, when I was initially being trained, I was pretty much shown every bad habit know to man as what we should do.(short of eating fried chicken during film handing. And that was probably only due to the fact that we didn't have any available at the time. "And you want to make sure you keep a full stomach during build ::munch munch  ::") But even before I came on here, I realized that alot of what I was shown was either bass akwards, silly, or downright stupid. Reading here only further served to help purge the bad habits. None of the theatre's I worked at had goldbergs, though I wish they did. So I learned to use the 6ks. Though I was being as carful as possible with the "Retard method", it still could introduce unnecessary problems, and besides, the 6ks allow me to multitask. As mentioned before, you can be building a reel, while another is winding off to a platter.

I think the Savannah 10 has one. I remember seeing it while over there certifying for level-2. Asked the trainer about it "Isn't that one of those platter reels?", but he just shrugged his shoulders, and showed me how to build to the 6000ft reels (though I was already doing that long before that). I even explained to him what it was for, and you could build an entire movie to it, and play straight off of it. Eh, well, if they won't use it, I wouldn't mind having it.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-05-2008 08:34 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only to shift the topic slightly, but to any of you change-over guys -- how long does it take to "make-up" a reel-to-reel print. By make-up I mean a print that comes in with heads and tails just masking taped on and three or four layers of splicing tape at each join that has to be removed, leaders spliced back on properly. This is assuming the print is otherwise in good condition -- no splices within the body that need to be replaced, no change-over cues that have to be added and no count-down sync leaders that have to be retimed or corrected.

I got just such a print this weekend and it took me about an 1-hr 30min - 1hr 45min to do all the fingernail scraping of the tape, cleaning all the glue off the joins, rewinding twice to get onto house reels and adding clear head identification information on each leader (reel number, title, reel number side ways, format information).

For other prints that were NOT in good such condition, and more reels that the typical 5 or 6, it has taken me as much as 3 maybe 3.5 hours to fully prep a badly mauled print. This leads to the question, where do you draw the line on how much time to spend before you have say, it is becomming an issue of diminshing returns economically to invest that kind of work-hours on a print that may not even bring in as much money as it is costing to repair.

We've once tried to bill back the repair time to the distributor. You could hear the laughter on the other end of the phone without even holding it to your ear.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-05-2008 09:03 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally budget an hour for makeup, whether to 2000' reels, 6000' reels, or platter. Add another half-hour to platter makeup if the makeup table is crappy (e.g. Super Platter or old-style SPECO) and requires attention while the film is spinning onto the platter from 6000' reels.

This works if the print is in "typical" condition, as Frank discusses, and of "typical" length. It can sometimes be faster to make up a print for big reels or a platter than for small reels if there are issues with the leaders or cues. Add another 15-20 minutes for a standard trailer reel (5-6 "items," in mixed head/tail orientation, from trailer cores).

The only time saving feature of a changeover booth at makeup time is the ability to start the show after the first reel is ready. Obviously, "breakdown" time is zero.

For platter breakdown, I budget thirty minutes, but, like Brad, will specify an hour if the print is to be picked up immediately after the show, so as to avoid angry couriers. I have yet to see any theatre in this area with a Goldberg platter reel.

Raymond Christie
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2008 12:37 PM      Profile for Raymond Christie   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Christie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
If you are building "old school like a retard" style where you build each shipping reel direct to the platter, you just suck. It will take about the same time as the 6K method above, only that your film handling will suffer.
Sad but this is the way I learned. I may and try to change it in the future. This has helped out a lot. I projectionists are building up in about 40 minutes and tearing down in about 30 to 40 minutes.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-05-2008 03:06 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I took over the theatre I manage now, all the film was built up by loading the 2K reels directly on to the platter. The thing that really bothers me about that is our booth is not particularly bright so all the splicing was being done on the make-up table where it was difficult to see what you're doing. Plus there was absolutely no inspection of the film.

Building on the 6K reels allows me to inspect the film for damaged perfs, stray pieces of tape, major development issues, and glue splices (which I always remove).

The other thing I changed was they used solid yellow tape for all splices. We now use a zebra tape (sorry if that's not the right term) for reel changes and a clear tape for anything done mid reel.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 06:38 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hand inspect everything at my theatre. We always get new prints, except during the free kid shows. [evil] Those prints are fun, sometimes.

Anyway, I often find edge damage, rotton lab splices, etc. in the new prints. I dont like to take the chance. I dont like messing up prints in any way.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-06-2008 10:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should be your own speed when doing the "makes and breaks" so you won't be having a fubar attack in either case. That is the operator to find out what his speed is.

If you're fast at both, then good for you. If you're slow at both, then good for you as well cuz you're being careful.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: