Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie Cue Order?

Author Topic: Christie Cue Order?
Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2008 09:56 PM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone please tell me the order of the cues for Christie consoles with, I believe, Component Engineering failsafes (I'd have to double check)? I was told it was this order:

1) Non-Soundtrack cue (inboard?): To open douser, switch sound format, etc
2) Center cue: Lights full down at start of feature
3) Cross cue: Lights half-up at start of credits
4) Soundtrack cue (outboard): Douser shut in blue screen after credits, lights full up, sound back to non-sync

We have had issues with the first cue as the sound is not always switching over to Stereo/SR/Digital, whatever that house may be.

Also had issues with the cross cue (start of credits) not working at all. Cross cue is in the same direction as the framing lines on the film, is it not?

I just switched theatres and am using Christie consoles for the first time so I am still pretty unfamilar with them, as I originally grew and learned with CFS consoles.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-27-2008 10:24 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jake Lafree
1) Non-Soundtrack cue (inboard?): To open douser, switch sound format, etc
2) Center cue: Lights full down at start of feature
3) Cross cue: Lights half-up at start of credits
4) Soundtrack cue (outboard): Douser shut in blue screen after credits, lights full up, sound back to non-sync

That is correct.

Also had issues with the cross cue (start of credits) not working at all. Cross cue is in the same direction as the framing lines on the film, is it not?

Make sure that the cue is going all the way across the film and that it is straight not at an angle

We have had issues with the first cue as the sound is not always switching over to Stereo/SR/Digital, whatever that house may be.

Check all the wiring connections on the relay board of the Christie 3Q automation. I have found some of these wires to be loose.

Also check the conections on the TB5 board. This is the large board that sits about at a 45 degree angle in the console. W15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and the corespnding conections below it for any loose wires.

I just switched theatres and am using Christie consoles for the first time so I am still pretty unfamilar with them, as I originally grew and learned with CFS consoles.

That's called getting out of the dump and getting some real light on the screen. [Big Grin]

Are you working the soon to open Cinemark location. If so, you should have an engineer on site to help you out with anything that comes up. Let him know.

Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2008 12:59 AM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, booth manager for the Cinemark Valparaiso 12 screen, due to open 5/2. But we have VIP nights Tues-Thurs so thats why I want to get everything squared away asap.

Thanks.

PS>>>>And yes, they are all Component Engineering FM 35 Failsafes, if that makes any difference.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2008 01:56 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you get an indication from the FM35 (red led flash) when the cue goes through then it is functioning ok. Make sure the cable is pushed all the way in on the back of the FM35.

You are probably using lutron dimmers with graphic eye and wall controllers. The FM35 sends the lights up down pulses to that graphic eye and it is supposed to communicate with the wall controller. If you are having constant problems with the lights up cue (Cross Cue) the problem could be at the graphic eye or in the wiring connection at the console TB5 board. The dimmer cues from the FM35 are just tied in on that board as a convenience.

If you look at my picture right above my head is the wall dimmer controller and on the other side of the DCI NCM controler is the graphic eye box. In that box is the wiring running from the console and to the wall control.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-28-2008 02:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For future archival reference, do note that there is no hard fast rule what cue should perform what action. For example, on the old Cinemark installations with CFS automations, the outboard cue was the feature cue and the inboard cue was the shutdown cue. Always check with your technician for absolute verification.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-28-2008 06:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also just because you have a Christie console doesn't mean it is a Christie automation in it

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2008 11:39 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one reason I asked if he was opening the Cinemark location. I knew what was going in there because I know one of the engineers installing that location. He just needs to communicate with him about these issues while he is still in the building.

Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2008 12:40 PM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which one Darryl? Bob, Bill, Jeremy, or Nick?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2008 02:19 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which one Darryl? Bob, Bill, Jeremy, or Nick?
Hey Jake, sent you a private message on that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: