Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sky Monitor FM Stereo Modulator manual (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sky Monitor FM Stereo Modulator manual
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-26-2008 09:13 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a manual or some help with a Sky Monitor FM Stereo Modulator. The unit is currently set for 88.1 with the dials at 1-2-4-5. I need to change the frequency because a local community station just installed a new antenna and it's causing major problems with the sound at our drive-in (Lakeport Auto Movies).

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2008 02:33 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

You should be able to receive BBC Radio 2 on that frequency. It's really quite good you know.

From Cambridge, Goodnight

David

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2008 09:43 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about that particular unit... You might want to try this site for "part 15" radio operators. (Part 15 is the section on the FCC rules pertaining to certain extremely low power "broadcasts")

Here's the link FCC Part 15 Resource

I am confident that if you can't find any help here on FT that someone on the part 15 board will be able to help you!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-27-2008 01:36 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Sky Monitor" was designed for, and sold by Marble (see deadbeats thread for major player at that time). The company reverse-engineered the box and made their own. It nearly was me. I had built a single-box 2-projector + sync preamp/switch/complimiter/stereogen/transmitter for my place. Marble wanted me to manufacture the box for them, but they needed me to send 2 samples for "testing".

Sounds familiar. "We have a prize for you. Send us $2,000 for processing".

Anyhow, you'll probably have to find another user with a book. You could also, FIRST, write down where the settings are, then experiment with them. You might need to set the switches with the box off. Some PLL designs only read the switch positions when the circuit is first turned on.

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2008 08:30 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have one of the frequency lists for that transmitter kicking around somewhere. I'll see if i can find it.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-02-2008 03:02 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I appreciate you looking, but I was able to come up with a manual a few days ago. But thanks again for looking.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2008 08:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would trash that Sky Monitor! Its a piece of junk. Get yourself a Broadcast Warehouse transmitter shipped over from Great Britian... its a top notch unit and easy to operate and adjust and very definately built to extremely high standards. It's also currently the ONLY decent transmitter available for drive-inn use. Its the only one we will currenty sell. There is a used one available here.

Mark

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2008 08:46 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Mark's opinion in the Broadcast Warehouse transmitters. I have two of them and wouldn't consider anything else. Both of my units are the TX-5 model, and I have the transmit power set on them as low as it will go. Great coverage, excellent stereo separation, and the price was bearable. Sure, it's gonna cost more than a Ramsey, but well worth the price.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-02-2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one I have had the best luck with
http://www.decade.ca/

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-02-2008 12:17 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Decade equipment looks like good stuff, Gordon. Their prices for what they do are a bit on the high side though... at least they were the last time I checked.

The decade boxes don't have any compression or peak limiting option, which I think any drive-in should have, for several reasons. Add the cost of a decent comp/limiter and the Decade option is quite a bit over Broadcast Warehouse.

For a lot of people, the BW transmitters are a one-box fix, and well worth the money, IMO.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-02-2008 12:52 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep that in mind if we need to replace the Sky Monitor unit. While I hear what you're saying, this particular unit has been in use for about 12 years and we haven't had any problems aside from this current issue of not having the manual to reset the frequency.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2008 03:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyting the French make usually costs more and U get less.

Mark

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-16-2009 02:20 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 562 days since the last post.

Jon Paul Johns
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2009 02:20 PM      Profile for Jon Paul Johns   Email Jon Paul Johns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone can help I need a Sky Monitor FM Stereo Modulator manual switch settings too you can call me at (405)819-0846 or fax attn. Jon too (405)632-8195

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-16-2009 04:05 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, I just faxed that over to you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: