Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Iron Man prints have locks (here we go again) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Iron Man prints have locks (here we go again)
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-25-2008 10:14 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Below is a fax that is supposed to go out on the date listed below if not sooner.

Date: Monday, April 28, 2008
To: United States Domestic Movie Theatres
Re: Paramount’s IRON MAN opening Friday, May 2, 2008

Attention Theatres:

Your theatre(s) should start receiving prints of Paramount’s IRON MAN the week of April 28, 2008. Upon receipt, the Locked Can will contain Reels 1,2,3 & 7. The lock is not to be opened until Thursday, May 1st per Paramount’s request. The combination code will be available for release at 9:00 a.m. (EST time) on May 1st. The Unlocked Can will contain all enclosure trailers, Reels 4, 5, & 6, projectionist letter, and an instruction letter from Paramount.

There are several ways for you to retrieve the combination code that opens the can, but the retrieval methods will not work until 9:00 a.m. (EST time) Thursday, May 1st. The lock code will be available for you via several easy options:

Call Deluxe Film Services at: 1-866-524-3456 (FILM) - a message will greet you with the code information.

Send an e-mail to: Ironman@etsdirect.com - an automated response will provide code information.

Visit the following website: www.ironmanlockcode.bydeluxe.com

Via broadcast fax – a fax with the lock combination code will be sent out on the morning of May 1st.

Please note: The lock combination code will not be released and all code retrieval methods will not work until 9:00 a.m. (EST time) on Thursday, May 1st.

If you have any questions, please contact Deluxe Film Services at:
1-800-734-3969

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-26-2008 01:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are they so paranoid about friggin' Iron Man of all things?

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2008 01:42 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts exactly....... and I have a mandatory 8:00 PM show!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-26-2008 01:45 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed in that one that there was no mention of do not tamper or cut off the locks and if you do we will hunt you down like the pirate dogs you are and throw you in the slammer comment.

At least the Transformers one had the first 3 reels and the trailers in the can so you could build the first half up on the platter if you wanted to. This time you can't even do that.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2008 03:35 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talked with my delivery guy and he said that we won't be getting our prints until May 1st. I really don't see the problem here. We will have ours by 3pm. We have 3 prints and 8pm, 9pm, and 10pm shows along with the midnights, whats the problem here with the 8pm shows?

While the locks are dumb, if you can get the code by 9am whats the problem? Can you not build up multiple prints in 11 hours? I know we won't get to screen them, but I think thats what all the fuss is about more then anything. People want to see it and are upset they won't get to see it on the 30th.

Edit: Because I don't know how many days are in the month of April [Big Grin]

[ 04-26-2008, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Kurt Zupin ]

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2008 03:54 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I right in thinking Transformers was the last movie to get this special treatment? I don't think Iron Man is Transformers big, that put bread on the table all summer at my theater.

I do sort of think it is ridiculous, since I have a midnight of it and would have screened it Wednesday night. I mean, it isn't that big a deal, since we regularly put things on screen sight unseen, but I don't see why they feel this is a useful precaution. With CAP coding and whatnot, they should be able to hunt me down if I try to pirate it, right?

Mike Baer
Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2008 04:38 AM      Profile for Mike Baer   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Baer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why they make such a big thing about not open the cans before May 1st. In Switzerland and Germany Iron Man is released on Wednesday April 30th.(Because May 1st is a Holiday it is released on Wednesday)

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-26-2008 07:46 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the pirated version already out?? Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-26-2008 09:36 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, what are they going to do to top these security measures when Indy comes out? Send the individual reels in separate armored trucks (with snakes)?

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What pisses me off is that they lock up the first half of the print. I'm getting 4 prints, in which it is madatory to view all prints before showing it to the public. I usually get my prints from ETS on Wed, so I have to sit and wait to load all these prints, find time to run them (which means cancelling shows during the day which is against policy) and then run them, possibly interlock them for an 8PM showing. And I'm sure there is already a pirated copy floating around.

At least they could do is give us the print opened up to reel 6 or 7, then all we need to do is load the last reel. That could be done 10 mins prior to showing.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2008 11:02 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right on, Bernie. And I'll bet the trailers are in the can with the #7 reel, making it impossible to build a trailer core ahead of time.

What a bunch of dopes.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-26-2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John T. Hendrickson, Jr
And I'll bet the trailers are in the can with the #7 reel, making it impossible to build a trailer core ahead of time.
quote: Darryl Spicer
The Unlocked Can will contain all enclosure trailers

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Sheesh, what are they going to do to top these security measures when Indy comes out? Send the individual reels in separate armored trucks (with snakes)?
Dont give them any ideas!!!

Is it possible to build the last reels of the print onto a large reel so that it is ready to just spin on, or am I missing something here? I don't know what kind of lock they use but if it is like a Master Lock or something one might just cut if off with a lock cutter then replace it with a new one. Maybe when they get the print back and cant open the lock they will think twice about doing that again. As a matter of fact I bet if the majority of people replaced the locks with different ones technicolor would change thier tune really quickly! [evil] (I am just joking of course)

Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2008 12:32 PM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am assuming that there is ONLY ONE code to open all the prints, since the website http://www.ironmanlockcode.bydeluxe.com/ has 4 X's waiting to be filled in. This means there is only 10,000 possible combos. Get 10 people to try 1000 combos each or 100 people to try 100 combos and the winner posts the working combo. Problem solved. Divide and conquer!
(Person 1 tries 0000-0999, Person 2 tries 1000-1999 and so on)

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-26-2008 01:00 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Markus Lemm
I am assuming that there is ONLY ONE code to open all the prints, since the website http://www.ironmanlockcode.bydeluxe.com/ has 4 X's waiting to be filled in. This means there is only 10,000 possible combos. Get 10 people to try 1000 combos each or 100 people to try 100 combos and the winner posts the working combo. Problem solved. Divide and conquer!
(Person 1 tries 0000-0999, Person 2 tries 1000-1999 and so on)

I was just thinking that. I wonder if the combo will have the first number a 0. I wonder if it will be the same one they had for Transformers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: