Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » IREM N3-X75DM with Super Lumex? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: IREM N3-X75DM with Super Lumex?
Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 11:40 AM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody tell me how to set-up IREM N3-X75DM with Super Lumex lamp house. Do we have to do any changes? Can you light up a 2500W bulb with this system? Thank you all in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-23-2008 11:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the IREMs use 220v contactors and the super lumex operates on 110v
I usually put a small 11vac relay on the output of the superlumex control lines 5/6 to switch the irem contactor
also 110vac input to the lamphouse is on 2 and 4

Also the autostrike board needs to be changed for the lower noload voltage of the IREM

Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 01:37 PM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gordon

Thank you very much for your kind information.

But Please tell me Where to buy this relay and what model number is this. So the relay goes inside the lamp house? I am not technically sound. so I appriceate if you give me drawing of this how to do. and the same time how to do autostrike board?

Can you put a 2500W bulb in this model?

Thanks a lot if you can send me the drawing to cineprojection@yahoo.ca.

Thanks again

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-23-2008 03:37 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon's plan works well. This is my favorite combination. Very trouble free.

Installation: Consult your booth tech. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-23-2008 04:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just ignore Gordon's typo...he meant a 110V AC relay (not 11VAC).

The relay can be mounted most anywhere...in the lamphouse or rectifier....In or near the rectifier has proven most convienent as the Super Lume-X come with a harness that will be going to the rectifier and has all of the terminals you need on it.

As Louis said, leave the wiring to a qualified professional.

Steve

Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 04:36 PM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gordon, Steve and Loui

The system is installing in INDIA. those technicians have never work on system like this. They get complete system from a manufacture and installing the. So this is going to be very complicating for them.

I really appriciate if some one give a rough drawing how to do this conversion.

and the other thing Can this system light up a 2500W bulb?

Also how to do "the autostrike board needs to be changed for the lower noload voltage of the IREM "

Thank you all. every one here very helpful everytime.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-23-2008 07:45 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lamphouse can easily be made to accept an XBO-2500w/hs bulb. However the rectifier is limited: 2000 watts in 60 Hz countries and 1600 watt in 50 hz countries. Louis

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-24-2008 10:25 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What voltage and frequency is India?
Anyway, the lamphouse needs 120VAC - and 60Hz if you want the lamp hour reading to be accurate - applied on terminals #2 and #4. When switched to LAMP ON (and the internal blower activating the airflow switch) you get 120VAC across terminals #5 and #6. If India is 240VAC (and like most of the old British Empire it probably is) you will need a step down transformer, it isn't feasible to convert a 120VAC lamphouse to 240VAC operation (although I think you can buy a new one made for 240).
The Irem rectifier needs its own separate AC supply of course, whatever voltage is on the spec plate. To tell it to make lamp power you connect terminal A to terminal B.
So you just get a relay with a 120V coil and connect the coil to lamphouse terminals 5 and 6 and a NO contact to Irem A and B. There isn't much room in the lamphouse for this. There isn't much room in the rectifier connection box either. I usually screw a 6x6 electrical box to the rectifier below the terminal box and install an octal relay socket with octal base relay inside there. Electrosonic has what you need.
The autostart board is at the very inside back of the lamphouse, under the cathode adjuster behind a metal shield held on with two screws. There are several versions of the board for different rectifier open circuit (ie lamp not yet struck) voltages: the only difference being a zener diode is changed. The Irem has a pretty low open circuit voltage and with the standard card for Strong high reactance rectifiers the autostrike is not reliable - sometimes it works and sometimes not. I don't want to tell you it absolutely won't work, it might be OK. Changing the zener is pretty easy, again Electrosonic has these: the 1N5361 is the one I use that autostrikes around 60VDC open circuit.
Beware though... the autostrike circuit board is held with plastic stand-offs that invariably shatter into dust when you remove the board to work on it (good old Strong and their aversion to UV-proof plastic parts) so you will need 3 new standoffs or some way to fake them. You will not find these fricking standoffs anywhere except from Strong (if you do let me know) as every one I can get has a 6-32 threaded post and somehow Strong gets a 8-32 size... anyway they are Strong part #39155.
You could probably get 2500W out of the rectifier on 60Hz but not on 50Hz (ie India I think). Irem under-specifies the power capability but not that much.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-24-2008 11:07 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave; that rectifier runs HOT in 50 hz countries. Too hot for 2000 watt. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-24-2008 11:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going to run aything near a 2kw lamp with that particuluar IREM I reccomend replacing all the diodes with the later style Semikron diodes. Part number SKN 70/16 available from Allied or Newark. They will be able to take the punishment you are about to give them. The older diodes will be failure prone in this older rectifier. An internal fan blowing air over the flat alumnium heatsink wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-24-2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have done installations in 50HZ countries with the N-3 / 75 230VAC 50HZ model and able to maintain 2 - 2500 watts on the units.....we also installed 230VAC muffin fans on each core stack and on the diode banks since some of these locations barely had any air conditioning in the projection room. No load would need to be set below 85 volts...more so at 60 for auto-strike.

Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2008 03:36 PM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave

We have 440VAC 3Phase 50Hz. So we should put a Stepdown transformer to get 220VAC 3Phase. or unless inside transformer has taps for 440VAC that we can change the settings.

How this Super Lumex will go on a 38ft wide screen with 65ft throwing distance? bright enough?

[ 04-24-2008, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Peter Das ]

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2008 04:39 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
You will not find these fricking standoffs anywhere except from Strong (if you do let me know) as every one I can get has a 6-32 threaded post and somehow Strong gets a 8-32 size... anyway they are Strong part #39155.
McMaster-Carr sells Nylon 8-32 threaded standoffs (page 3188-3189).

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Das
with 65ft throwing distance?
Just an F. Y. I. Throw distance does not factor into lamp size/power only the size of the screen does.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-24-2008 07:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McMaster Carr sells soooo much stuff... I don't know how they do it. They even list Nuclear Reactors on page 12,782!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: