Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What's The Proper Way To Return A Print? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What's The Proper Way To Return A Print?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2008 10:57 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost embrassed to ask this question.
> What it the proper/prefered way to re-attach head & tail leaders when returning a print?<

I've been projecting for over 30 years (carbon arcs, changevovers) but I've recently been forced to lower my standards and start working with xenon lamps and platters.
(That's a JOKE, guys! [Big Grin] )

Like all of you, I have received a prints wound heads out, tails out, emulsion in, emulsion out and with leaders 'attached' with every type of sticky substance known to man short of chewing gum. (if attached at all)

When re-attaching heads & tails, should it be a "full splice" (both sides) or tape-splice on only one side, to make things easier for the next guy? (assuming the "next guy" is not running reel-to-reel!)

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2008 11:06 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This tip shows some very usefull information (which most probably you already know) but it doesn't hurt refreshing our memories [Smile]

Building 101

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-21-2008 11:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Heads out / emulsion out / leaders single sided tape spliced on with enough tape to secure the tip end of the leader from unraveling during shipments (this means more than an inch, you cheapasses out there).

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2008 12:48 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tape strip should be pressed down over the entire length so it is really attached to the film. If you are feeling generous, you can double back one end for about 1/2 inch so the next person will have a tab to pull it off without using fingernails.

I find many reels where the tape is there but not actually sealed to the film so it comes loose in shipment.

KEN [Smile]

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2008 05:04 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of the above. Unfortunately, when I received a print of Zombie Strippers, all of the heads were loose which pissed me off. [Mad]

In essence, I agree with everyone who has posted thus far.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-21-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
you can double back one end for about 1/2 inch so the next person will have a tab to pull it off without using fingernails.
Make sure the flap is on the 'end' side of the film so it pulls off easily from the print. Leaving the flap on the other end means you've still more work to do as it is still attached to the tip of the leader.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-21-2008 09:14 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please try not to damage the copy#/barcode sticker when you tape down the reel ends...

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-21-2008 09:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That is ridiculous advice.

I cut the damn barcode sticker off if it is within a hand's wrap from the tip end, because if I don't the tape will just tear the sticker off anyway and then whoever is breaking down the print has to run get a roll of tape to secure the reel end down properly thus wasting time.

Besides John, you know as well as I do that the film labs know what print number each reel is in a given print anyway.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-22-2008 12:44 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use a new piece of tape. Don't just re-use the piece of tape that came with it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-22-2008 12:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike is pointing out a minor oversight. I thought the "building 101" tips page covered this, but it was made back in the day when print bands were still in use and is only hinted at when ETS is spoken of. When building, a fresh piece of new quality tape 6 inches long should be used to wrap up the head leader and identify the reel number.

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-22-2008 01:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the "courtesy tab" on the tape (folding one of the edges of the tape over underneath itself to make a convenient pull tab). This is essential and has been known to save lives in the past. It is also recommended, endorsed and sponsored by Kodak as well as Tom Hanks. Keep in mind that when attaching the tape to a reel, put the courtesy tab on the leader side, not on the film that is underneath it. This ensures that the tape comes off cleanly and doesn't try to take the leader with it.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2008 09:53 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad M. Calpito
...when I received a print of Zombie Strippers, all of the heads were loose
WHAT were you expecting?? [Wink] Specially with such a title...!!!! [Razz]

Andrés [thumbsup]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-22-2008 09:57 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was likely expecting tight tails rather than loose heads.

[Smile]

Brian Dooda
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 11:22 AM      Profile for Brian Dooda   Email Brian Dooda   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the reel to reel world, which I think would mostly include archival and art house theaters, the preferred orientation received or sent out would be tails out, emulsion in, and leaders with splicing tape on both sides.

Having a film tails out makes inspection easier, so thats nice, but from an archival standpoint "emulsion in" is less stressful and better preserves the film image according to SMPTE test.

I've wondered if platter houses get pissed when they receive a print like this. Sorry if thats the case. We don't do it out of spite or laziness. Its just the best way for us and the film.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-23-2008 12:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The overwhelming majority of prints are ran on platters these days, so it only makes sense to single side splice the leaders back on, because a double sided splice is harder to undo and offers the incentive to the next theater to "just cut that frame off". Also there is less handling taking apart a single sided splice as opposed to a double sided splice. This is why the practice of single sided splices upon return is the proper one.

In regards to that emulsion in SMPTE test, it is outdated by 30 years of filmstock technologies and should be disregarded. If you pay attention to that SMPTE test as well, it was also designed with 6000' reels in mind where the core to outer wrap ratio is too great.

For reel to reel theaters running 2000' reels though, I do agree the reels should be returned however they come off of the takeup arm, because that wind will be superior to what is generally available from a rewind table, meaning it will protect the film better in shipping. As far as emulsion in goes though, prints I have played which have been stored emulsion in for a good length of time have various warping and playing problems. It is not a good idea.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: