Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with Cooperator and curtain controls

Author Topic: Help with Cooperator and curtain controls
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2008 02:44 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

I'm working with a Eprad Cooperator and I'm trying to hook up a curtain control using a DPDT solenoid switch. The switching of the curtain will work fine, but what I need to do is power a 24vac solenoid (coil) using the inboard cue. At terminals 21 & 22 there is no 24v and I'm getting around 5v across the terminals and 0 when the cue goes through. Again, my only problem is I just need to energize the coil through the inboard cue foil. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bernie

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-12-2008 06:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could use a small 5 volt DIP relay to be operated by the inboard cue and that in turn would operate the larger curtain solenoid. What ever you end up doing it will probably have to be one or two extra relays before the curtain relay.

Mark

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2008 06:12 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I was thinking the same thing. But wouldn't the 5V relay be energized most of the time and only de-energize when the cue foil is detected? I would think you would want the opposite behavior. You could use a relay with a set of contacts that close when the relay de-energizes, but I'd be concerned about the effect constant current in the relay coil.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing, but was hoping that I could get away thing something else.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2008 09:13 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm not relying on the automation for any curtain control (the curtain would only be controlled by a cue), can I just take the inboard cue out of the automation wiring and wire it directly to the coil via a transformer and relay? What's the voltage at the cue sensor? Any suggestions?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: