Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 5.1 from DVD Player, through CP650, possible? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 5.1 from DVD Player, through CP650, possible?
James Ness
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 01:13 AM      Profile for James Ness   Author's Homepage   Email James Ness   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has probably been answered before but I couldn't find a straight answer.

I'm guessing you probably have to go from the dvd players coaxial output into some kind of reciever then from the separate channels in through the 6 channel input on the 650.

how would you wire something like that?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 01:25 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something like this would take care of your needs: http://www.uslinc.com/products-sound-ECI60.html

This would connect easily to that 25-pin analog input. Takes both digital coax and optical (toslink), decodes Dolby 5.1 from DVD's, satellite... whatever you need.

Also I believe you'd have some options if you're using a DVD player that has a built-in Dolby/DTS decoder, in which case it would have 6-8 RCA analog outputs on the back... there are cables that will turn that into the 25-pin connector.

Yet another, albeit more cumbersome solution would be to hook your DVD player to a home audio receiver that does Dolby, and also happens to have 6-8 RCA audio pre-outs on the back. Go from those to a 25-pin connector using the adapter cable. The only cable I've found like that was from a vague site on Google product search, and the inputs were not labeled... so perhaps someone else on here has a good recommendation for where to go for such a cable.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-09-2008 02:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no. Just hook into the CP650's "option card i/o" connector. All you have to do is take an RCA male cable and connect the + lead to pin #1 and the - lead to pin #7 of that DB25 connector and assign the format for AC3 decoding to one of the buttons on the front. Then connect the RCA plug into the coaxial output of your DVD player.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 03:03 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice. I guess my solution would only be good if you wanted a quick way to move this input between different types of processors (XD10P's etc).

I haven't had a chance to experiment with this yet, will the XD10 play consumer (DVD) DTS audio through what I believe is the digital coax connector on the back?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-09-2008 03:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Strube
I guess my solution would only be good if you wanted a quick way to move this input between different types of processors (XD10P's etc).
So it is easier and faster to move another unit AND wiring as opposed to just moving that one wire? [Razz]

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 03:45 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For people who don't know the deep ins & outs of different processors... sure!

James Ness
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 05:03 AM      Profile for James Ness   Author's Homepage   Email James Ness   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
No, no, no. Just hook into the CP650's "option card i/o" connector. All you have to do is take an RCA male cable and connect the + lead to pin #1 and the - lead to pin #7 of that DB25 connector and assign the format for AC3 decoding to one of the buttons on the front. Then connect the RCA plug into the coaxial output of your DVD player.
this is possible without having the ex add-on?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 06:18 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you need the EX board installed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-09-2008 11:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
He said he had a CP650. That comes standard on the CP650. Check your model numbers. [Wink]

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 12:01 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, is there a way to do this on DTS X10? I don't see any thing that would make me think you could but I am curious if it can be done and if so how.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 12:10 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you are correct. Pedantic but correct.

Most people don't know the model IDs and refer to them all as a CP650, CP500, CP65 etc.

Ron, do you mean XD10 or XD10P? [Roll Eyes] I find people don't know the difference (and it's a BIG one) and often confuse the two units. The answer to your question is yes in either case, assuming you've got the correct configuration.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 12:44 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both but the processor unit (X10P) has no interface for a coaxial in put and it appears that X10 has only video inputs and that option is not active on this one. It seems a bit strange to me that the video processor is already installed and you only need the license to use it! There two video RCA's and input and an output on what appears to be the video card and two that are also yellow on in another area!

James Ness
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 03:57 PM      Profile for James Ness   Author's Homepage   Email James Ness   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm pretty sure we dont have the ex board on any of our cp650's
whats the easiest way to tell?

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 09:09 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want flexibility in what you want to play, why not just get a domestic multi-channel receiver - even one which handles the latest audio formats on BluRay and HD-DVD - and use it to decode the audio to discrete channels and feed them into whatever processor you have.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2008 10:42 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To check what boards are in your CP650 use the menu and fader knob to get to 'about this 650'(or something like that). It'll tell you what is installed. The #'s are explained in the manual.
Also can't you can program Non sync 2 as a 5.1 analog input if you have a DVD player with analog outputs?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: