Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Change the speed of playback? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Change the speed of playback?
Adrian Hauser
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Hauser   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Hauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Film Tech,

How does one adjust the speed of playback on a film projector.
We have a Cinemeccanica Victoria 12 projector.

We are performing butterfly tests with 1/2 the screen blanked to the film projector and the other 1/2 our Barco 2k projector in our Digital Grading Theatre. With the Barco set to 24 fps the projector seems to be running around 26 Fps.

Adrian Hauser
Sydney, Australia

|  IP: Logged

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2008 06:55 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemeccanica's are belt driven machines it would be in the tension setting on the main drive belt but how you get it precise I'm not sure and if you actually match it the Digital out put I am also not sure. I'm not sure why it would need to be.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-04-2008 07:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to get a film machine to run at a particular speed is use a sync motor with timing belts (or direct drive) and then use a good grade of motor controller (one that has an accurate crystal...generally the cheaper ones don't). At that point you can have the machine run at any speed. I would have a good strobe light too (again with an accurate crystal) and shoot the strobe at say the shutter blade and verify speed.

Now, if you are going to be doing a bit of this, then it would make sense to outfit the machine with a pulse-tack and a proper read out (with at least three digits).

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-04-2008 08:05 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe absolute value of capacitors will affect the Cinemeccanica speed. More capacitors and a (large) variable resistor will allow some small adjustment.

Years ago, 30 frame operation of a V8 required a new pulley which needed "half a tooth" more. We used a 1000 hz sound loop threaded under the 70mm film along with a frequency cou nter to get exactly 1000 hz. Louis

Adrian Hauser
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2008 09:11 PM      Profile for Adrian Hauser   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Hauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the thoughts on this.

Ill check out our options early next week and initially look at the tension on the
belt drive.
I can change the frame rate of the Playback to the Barco as well so between
the two I should b able to get a decent match.

Louis, which capacitors should I be looking for?

Thanks
adrian.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-04-2008 09:22 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The V12 was their economy machine (based on the Portacine chassis) so a motor swap / crystal control with feedback encoder as Steve notes should do the trick....would be nice if there is a way to slave to the sync from your video / digital files with some phasing control to lock it in after a reference start point. I have used D.C. motors with 4 digit tach / encoder on a V-5 for playback to music / effects but it still required trimming every few minutes.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-04-2008 09:43 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is that 1k tone is often not 1k tone. A batch we have lying around was more like 1200 Hz [Frown]

The tone is intended as a level reference not a frequency reference, I guess.

As for strobes, best bet is to check with a photocell/photodiode and an oscilloscope.

--jhawk

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-04-2008 11:29 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it won't help you change speed, you can make a stroboscopic disc for anything you want to check the rotational speed of. I presently only know how to do this for 60Hz systems, but maybe someone else here can fill in the blanks.

EXAMPLE: This is for a 4-8 frame sprocket (360 or 180 rpm shaft), 24.00 fps, viewed under a 60Hz light. I made this in Adobe Illustrator:
 -

When you place this particular disc on the end of the requisite sprocket and shine a 60Hz florescent light on it, the pattern will appear to be still if the projector is running at precisely 24 fps. If the pattern appears to rotate in one direction or the other, the speed is off.

The formula to make one of these discs is:

Bars = F x 2 x 60/rpm

Where,
F is the frequency of light used to view the bars in Hz.
rpm is the target rotational rate of the object in revolutions per minute.

QUESTION FOR THE MATHEMATICIANS... When you work the formula for 50 cycles, the result isn't an integer. How could a fraction be translated to the bars/spacing in a 360 degree pattern? There has to be a way to make this work on 50Hz.

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2008 03:04 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gretings

The easiest way to do digital grading/butterfly comparisons would be to junk the Vic 12. It is not up to the job. Buy a Kinoton ECII reference and lock it to the timcode output of the replay machine.

Simple as that. No point buggering about with a Vic 12.

From snowy Cambridge

Goddnight

David

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-05-2008 06:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ECII? While it is the finest studio projector, without question...for just putting out a picture at an accurate speed it might be a bit pricey. Kinoton also has the EQ series (quality inspection machines that also offer a Sony 9-pin option). The ES series, yet less expensive still have variable speed right out of the box (crate). Even the standard E projector can be outfitted with variable speed with readout.

However, the fact remains, ANY projector with a sync motor and timing belts (or direct drive) can output a precise 24fps. By using the aforementioned motor controller solution, you take line-frequency out of the equation.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2008 07:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve... I used to use sync motors and variable drive units alot on my dailies setups. The more expensive units are pretty precise as for speed.

Mark

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2008 09:41 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
There has to be a way to make this work on 50Hz.
As a matter of fact, Imax provides 50 and 60Hz pattern print outs to be placed on top of their platter decks for speed check and calibration.

One cute little trick that a colleague of mine -you know who you are- taught me is to take the damping rollers further out (of allignment) so that your analog head reads perfs. Then, by plugging in an oscilloscope on your CP, you can know exactly at what speed you are running.

NOTE: Since you are reading perfs and not frames, everything is multiplied by four. 24fps=96Hz.

Andrés

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-05-2008 11:09 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote "Cinemeccanica's are belt driven machines it would be in the tension setting on the main drive belt but how you get it precise "
Belt tension has nothing to do with it since cinemecanica use timing belts on every machine of theirs I have ever worked with (vic12 I have not used)
Use a tach on the shutter or put a shaft encode on one of the sprocket shafts and use a frequency counter to get it dead on and a variable speed motor drive to adjust the motors speed

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-06-2008 10:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord, The Vic-10 was direct gear drive. The only one to have that feature that was built in the 50's/60's as far as I know. Drum shutter aside,it was also their best attepmt at a projector IMHO.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 12:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring to there belt drive machines

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: