Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can Straight Gate Simplex XL PR1014 be Changed to Curved Gate?

Author Topic: Can Straight Gate Simplex XL PR1014 be Changed to Curved Gate?
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two straight gate PR1014 XL heads and I was thinking about changing them to curved gates. Can this be done easily? Can't I just remove the gate and trap and replace with curved ones from the same model of head?

I just got a PR1014 with a curved gate from the same era and was going to try it. Just wanted your input.

Is there really that much of a difference that I should even worry about it for a 2,000 watt screening room? I know that the curved gate was supposed to make the focusing better especially on higher wattage bulbs that caused the film to warp more when over the aperature.

[ 04-04-2008, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-04-2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Its a bolt right in place sort of thing. Curved gates/traps will be expensive though and you most benefit from them when using high power lamps... but I personally prefer the curved stuff myself and ty[pically the pix looks better and focus is flatter.

Mark

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2008 05:43 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the curved gates myself, but have gotten some pretty good results from replacing the film trap runners with new ones. They tend to get grooves worn into them over the years, you see this on Pro-35 and Century C machines as well.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-04-2008 08:07 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to sell any flat gate machines. Razor sharp focus is impossible at any wattage without curved gates. Louis

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2008 09:30 AM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 cents. Just got back from a tune up (had to interface automation to pre show video proj, with Hall Research controller) in a XL straight gate 1600 watt booth I installed 10 years ago. I swear I look at this picture and for some reason it looks incredible. I dunno, I'm a straight gate kind a guy I guess...

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2008 02:57 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made the transfer and everything seems to fit okay with no apparent problems. Thanks. [thumbsup]

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2008 12:00 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what was the outcome? Did it look better?

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2008 12:41 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way to tell. It isn't up and running yet.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: