Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DHL driver asks no more sealed cans (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DHL driver asks no more sealed cans
Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2008 07:33 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We received a shipment of film today and the DHL Driver told the office manager that they no longer wanted the cases to be sealed. The reason given was that drivers needed to open the cases to check out the contents??? (We have always sealed the latches on the cans with an electrical zip tie) This is how all of our TES shipments have arrived and been returned for as long as I can remember.

We once were accused of damaging film because the case came open in shipment. Since we always sealed the cases before shipping we were not guilty of the damage that occurred when someone opened the case and the film rolls spilled out of the can then the person opening it stuffed the loose film back in the can.

Does anyone have knowledge of this new policy?

KEN

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2008 07:43 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've never re-sealed the cans, but I don't see why the driver needs to check the contents, unless there have been some problems in the area with the incorrect prints being placed in the cans. I don't ever remember a DHL/Airborne driver ever opening the cans in the past either. Guess we'll find out tomorrow if this is a nation wide policy when they pick up our prints.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-03-2008 08:12 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had a DHL or any other drive open film cans. They probably wouldn't know what they were looking at if the cans were opened.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-04-2008 03:18 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty idotic. You mean a driver is supposed to open the cans where....in the truck? On the sidewalk? In front of you before he takes them out of the building? Drivers are not film inspectors. Any dealings with the print for inspection purposes should be done in the depot, not on the truck. On the other hand, you could roll old trailers on the reels, put the film's leaders around them and when the next theatre screams bloody murder, you can say, hey, we wanted to seal the cans, but your guy said not to so he could verified that we gave him the correct print. We have no idea what happened after his inspection -- after all, at your request, our security seal was removed!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-04-2008 03:52 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it have something to do with the homeland security act?

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2008 07:44 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received only one print ever that had been opened and a Homeland Security letter of apology enclosed for delaying the shipment. It was a replacement for a badly scratched print in our last Riverside Saginaw Film Festival. The ends of those reels had been unspooled and were just wrapped around the spools without being fastened down. We still had 20 minutes before it hit the screen.

Unsealed shipments have arrived with the cases open in the past. Loose reels of film coming out of the case can cause print damage.

If they need to inspect the contents of these cans they can open the seals. If they don't need to access the film they will travel safely without opening in transit.

Just my opinion.
KEN

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-04-2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Under no circumstances would I ship without the seals. Again, they can cut & reseal.

Verbal instructions do not count. Only if a signed, personal letter was received and filed would I change procedure. Louis

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-04-2008 10:05 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be checking with both Technicolor and the local DHL office. Either this is bogus and they'll both want to know about it, or they'll have an explanation for you.

--jhawk

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2008 12:06 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That has to be a load of crap from the driver. I would have him check out and report it to his bosses. I can't imagine them wanting to check anything that isn't there job, do they want to check and see if the cookies I'm sending to Daughter in Canada is right? So DHL is taking no sealed shipments anymore? My driver hasn't told that to me.

Edited

Just spoke with my DHL driver she stated "We are forbidden from opening film cans, if you do and it is found out you will be terminated."

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2008 05:00 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our booking agent contacted DHL and found out the following:

DHL EXPRESS ( not DHL )will not accept sealed shipments. In talking to the representative for DHL EXPRESS our agent said that we would not make any shipments of film in unsealed film containers.

We require a letter for the office of DHL EXPRESS that states the cans must not be sealed and that DHL EXPRESS will accept any and all responsibility for loss or damage to the contents of those containers while in their care and custody.

We have not yet received any such letter.

KEN

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 02:37 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean that they won't be sending any more padlocked prints to the theaters either?

This sounds fishy to me. You should find out what the studios want you to do with their prints. They are the ones contracting with the shipping companies (through Technicolor), and they are the ones who own the prints that are being shipped. They are also the ones who are paranoid about people opening the cans and doing something mischievous with the film while it's being shipped - which is why everyone gets their prints at the last minute.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-06-2008 08:08 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure this policy stems from new requirements being pushed by DHS and the TSA. At some time in the near future all cargo shipments that ride with passengers regardless of mode (land/sea/air) will require a check of the contents prior to TSA approved seals being applied.

The policies are not being evenly applied for land and sea modes yet, and they are new - lots of confusion out there right now. We've only just gotten a handle on this in the last year or so for air mode shipments.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 08:51 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a TSA thing. A couple months ago I shipped a PC in a Pelican Case with combination padlocks, via FedEx Overnight. The locks were cut off during shipment and a note on the case said something to the effect of "You might want to start using TSA-approved locks".

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 09:44 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend recently shipped some equipment in a Pelican case with "TSA Approved Locks" and the locks had been cut off when they arrived. There was an official notice glued to the case explaining that he should have used approved locks. Government Morons.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-07-2008 08:47 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a TSA approved lock? A lock that the TSA has a key to?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: