Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Breaking news: Technicolor enhancer for the DP70 - new life to faded 70mm prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Breaking news: Technicolor enhancer for the DP70 - new life to faded 70mm prints
Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 01:39 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A rare finding from Italy, which will go on display in Karlsruhe's Schauburg cinema (Germany) in October.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-01-2008 04:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very interesting find. Reminds me of the ill-fated SpectreVision process, developed by Dr. Bob Buggard of the American Albion Corporation in the 1960s. His idea was to use a liquid gate and a complex series of prisms to enable a super 8 reversal original to be blown up to 70mm with no increase in grain size or loss of picture quality, thus slashing production costs and revolutionising artistic possibility. Unfortunately the system never caught on, thanks largely to union resistance in Hollywood (i.e. fears over technicians' jobs) and a smear campaign mounted by film stock manufacturers. The French New Wave experimented with it briefly, notably in Charles-Pierre le Legume's existentialist classic Ma Nuit avec un pamplemousse (1971), but sadly this process sank into the the history books and was never heard of again.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 06:47 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the DP-70 device was based upon studies made by the great Professor I. Lirpa, who also used the readily available steampipe system in New York City to develop a steam driven projector in the late '40's. He also developed a triple-Cinerama type system where three projectors were aimed at each of the three areas of the Cinerama screen. He called the system CineCineRamaRama. Unfortunately, it died an early death as it required a crew of almost 18 operators for each performance, and there were so many injuries from the operators tripping over each other that the Workmen's Compensation bills were no longer affordable.

[ 04-01-2008, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 08:52 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would love to see more photos of this Thomas.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 04-01-2008 09:28 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it always dangerous to follow potential remarkable solutions to previously unsolvable problems to far on April 1?

The clue might be in the last line: "Color spectrum is also enhanced when you drink a decent amount of beer at the same time."

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-01-2008 10:06 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danish beer results more brilliant colors that American brands [Big Grin]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 12:58 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always very suspicious of anything I read on April 1st.
Almost every year I used to get fooled by the gag projects or articles that appeared in the April issue of either Popular Electronics or Popular Science. (can't remember which) Does anyone else remember these? I'd look forward to them every year. I think this "discovery" falls into that category.
(But ya almost had me.... [Big Grin] )

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 02:28 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to do this with one of the pro-35's, but the manager informed me I was causing the lights in his office to dim, and to please stop that NOW.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-01-2008 02:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, does anybody know how much colorizing fluid that machine uses for every hour of film?

Considering that there are cyan, magenta, yellow and black fluids (I assume) that's four reservoirs that have to be refilled on a regular basis.

I suppose the stuff comes in 5 gallon buckets. Right?

And, for a commercial theater, they must go through 5 or 10 55 gal. drums of the stuff in a week! [Eek!]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 02:47 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean no one is using Bag In The Box coloring fluid?

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 03:59 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
His idea was to use a liquid gate and a complex series of prisms to enable a super 8 reversal original to be blown up to 70mm with no increase in grain size or loss of picture quality
And here is a picture of that process with a Projection Lens that convert your Super 8mm films to 70mm size.....

-

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-01-2008 04:06 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...wait....didn't I see this at ShoWest about 20 years ago where they said 8mm film could replace 70mm? Louis

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-01-2008 04:23 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
...His idea was to use a liquid gate and a complex series of prisms to enable a super 8 reversal original to be blown up to 70mm with no increase in grain size or loss of picture quality...
I have it on good authority that this process was used to make a 35mm print from the super 8 print of "Curse of the Queerwolf".

I believe the ONLY existing 35mm print belongs to our Grand-Poopie-BAH Administrator.

Trailer

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-01-2008 09:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of April Fool's jokes, has anyone been to www.youtube.com and clicked on any of the featured videos?

Likewise, Google Mail has a new service "Custom Time" that is worth checking out.

Also Pizza Hut is in on the action.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2008 06:46 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an interesting offer from Pizza Hut myself.

£5 and the Pizza Hut delivery guy will do some housework while you enjoy your pizza, ironing vacuming etc.

Thing is I've seen the guys that do their deliveries and I'd not let them anywhere near my smalls with an iron!!

They could do with a shower themselves....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: