Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Automatic Projector Calibration

Author Topic: Automatic Projector Calibration
Patrick Dunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 02:15 PM      Profile for Patrick Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YouTube: Automatic Calibration

This is very cool. Using sensors behind a screen to keep digital images from being distorted.

This could be extremely useful for installing digital projectors they could have the film projector dead center and the digital projector off to the side, or far out of the way and neither image will be distorted, or one side out of focus.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-31-2008 02:36 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tick...tick...tick...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-31-2008 07:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yea..delete this and goto "Yak" section and put this post in the "video of an insane man.."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-31-2008 07:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo! I can see its usefulness in 3-D viewing surface alignment and in multi projector installations like video walls. It'll eliminate all the alignment headache that video walls always have had!!! Excellent job... I think he gets the PHD...

And, personally I think it does deserve a thread of its own... its very unique and anyone thats ever set up a video wall knows what I am talking about.

Mark

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 05:48 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it may be jumping the gun a little to see this as a great achievement in projector alignment. That's not what I think they are doing. There's no connection to the projector but the video signal. All that's happening is the image being sent to the projector is being scaled to fit by the computer, leaving all that waste projector power projecting black.

Now if only projectors could be adjusted in less than 1 second. . . .

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In response to the above comment: It's not just scaling the image, it is compensating for keystoning and is able to track movement of the image surface and atapt in real time. I believe he was trying to demonstrate the accuracy of the alignment system by using a much smaller image surface.

I wouldn't play it down too much. I'm sure real-world uses would make sure to utilize as much of the projector as possible.

Patrick Dunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 10:25 PM      Profile for Patrick Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Castle
I think it may be jumping the gun a little to see this as a great achievement in projector alignment. That's not what I think they are doing. There's no connection to the projector but the video signal. All that's happening is the image being sent to the projector is being scaled to fit by the computer, leaving all that waste projector power projecting black.
You wouldn't really have to worry about projection a lot of black if you just have the projector projecting a little bit bigger than the screen. I wasn't thing much about scaling the image as i was keeping it undistorted.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: