Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Magnets? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Magnets?
Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 08:16 PM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where (a retailer or website) I can buy those little white magnets that clamp the tails of the prints on the platters? They look like tiny cylinders, they are about 1 inch tall and the diameter is about 1.25 inches. I was told they are gotten through Speco but does anybody know where I can get a similar design from anywhere else?

Or for that matter, any other similar tail-clamping product (although I would prefer magnets because I have never had a tail wrap or any other sort of problem using them) ?

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-27-2008 08:54 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like SPECO magnets to me. Why is it important to get them somewhere else, they can't be that expensive?

Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are opening a new building and I was told corporate wouldn't approve it/would fuss about it.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-27-2008 09:03 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So buy them yourself and turn it in on petty cash.

Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 09:07 PM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find them, anywhere, thats the problem.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-27-2008 09:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPECO! You don't have to be a theatre to buy from a dealer. [Smile]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 09:50 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The part number is 021-0014-01 and is called a Film Stop.
FWIW I used to make my own when Wal-Mart still had magnets in their arts and crafts section. I'd get the round magnets and match their size to the rubber chair leg tips sold in their hardware section. The chair leg tips are still there, but no magnets...at least I couldn't find them in my Wal-Mart.
Radio Shack used to carry magnets of various sizes.
If you can find the magnets, as Tim said they should not be expensive.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2008 01:06 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
when Wal-Mart still had magnets in their arts and crafts section.
quote: James Westbrook
Radio Shack used to carry magnets of various sizes.
So when did it become illegal to own a magnet in the State of Texas?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-29-2008 01:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget those silly SPECO magnets and either tuck the tail under or use a business card magnet like every pizza shop gives out for free.

-

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-29-2008 03:42 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will work on an aluminum platter deck??? Louis

Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went with the homemade approach. Found the same magnets at Radio shack and bought a bunch of chair tips online. Now all I gotta do is super glue them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-29-2008 06:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No it won't work on an aluminum deck, but Jack says he is using SPECOs and I don't have any SPECO platters around to demonstrate why this is vastly superior than putting a magnet up against the film roll.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2008 07:21 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy giant strips/sheets of magnets at any large hobby store like Hobby Lobby or Jeffery Allans. They have a tacky side to them, so you can put whatever you want on it to make homemade magnets. Just like the buisness card ones Brad was talking about. Cut however much you need out and your done.

Here's an example

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2008 02:06 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can get these adhesive magnets made for business cards at Staples also. Cost close to 8 bucks and you can cut them down as well.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2008 02:09 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know when it became illegal to own a magnet in the state of Texas...
I know we can still own guns...but...they've never sold bullets at Radio Shack...
We are not supposed to have an open container of alcohol in the drivers or passenger compartment of the vehicle, but I think that's to keep Bubba from driving into someone's house with his Ford F-150 on a Saturday Night/Sunday morning...
I never thought of the magnetic sticker thing, Brad...that's cool.
Oh...I never glued my magnets into the chair leg stops...they fit snugly enough without them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: