Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm Film Festival, Imperial Bio, Copenhagen, Denmark, 25-29. April 2008

Author Topic: 70mm Film Festival, Imperial Bio, Copenhagen, Denmark, 25-29. April 2008
Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 03:30 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See the program

Free lecure - in Danish - Saturday morning about "Fantastic Film Formats"

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2008 05:18 PM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Thomas,

I am thinking of attending a few screenings at Imperial.
Do you know which of the titles which will be presented in good unfaded prints?

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2008 08:05 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all prints, except "Doctor Zhivago", are fairly recent 70mm prints. DZ is vintage, with Swedish subtitles

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be there...looking forward to seeing this magnificent theatre for the first time.

It's been some time since I've seen Lawrence of Arabia and look forward to seeing Baraka as I've only previously seen it on 35mm.

"Carlsberg don't do film festivals, but if they did..." [Big Grin]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-21-2008 05:03 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baraka's gonna knock your socks off. Those 35mm versions sucked big time.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2008 03:35 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night on national TV news

live version

Long version

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-25-2008 09:53 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Thomas...you're famous! [Wink] Well done...hope it all goes very well.

Assume all are OV?

I have incredibly fond memories of playing Lawrence Of Arabia in 70mm at the Orpheum in 1992. Good times...my Dad used to say you could almost pick the grains of sand off the screen...he wasn't wrong. SO sharp...

Enjoy!

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2008 10:16 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a very good piece they have done and now Thomas is now on TV!.

Always great to see a DP70 in action and hopefully thsi 70mm Festival will be well supported.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2008 10:56 PM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

here are some pictures from the past week: http://www.in70mm.com/news/2008/imperial_70mm/gallery.htm

probably the largest 70mm logo EVER on that big 24 sheet on the corner of the building

The marketing machine at Nordisk Film is working very well, thanks to Teis and Per (posters and advertising) and Lars (organizing and press liason), and myself talking about 70mm history on radio, TV and in the papers.

Has been a team effort

Cheers Thomas
www.in70mm.com

Joop de Gruiter
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2008 03:48 AM      Profile for Joop de Gruiter   Email Joop de Gruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reminding me Thomas!

I went over yesterday with my girlfriend and saw 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was really a breathtaking experience and I'm happy I fell asleep after 20 minutes when I started watching this film on VHS ten years ago.

Too bad I couldn't see any of the other films this time (although I saw Doctor Zhivago when it ran in Royal, Malmö). I hope I get a new chance in the not too distant future.

Joop.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2008 11:50 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Baraka's gonna knock your socks off. Those 35mm versions sucked big time.
How right you were John, it was awesome. Incredible images from those DP70s at the Imperial - you could almost walk into the picture.

Frankly, after viewing all this 65/70mm material you just couldn't settle for mere 35mm again!

They were also heavily promoting Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull at this theatre and one hopes and prays LFL / Paramount will make at least a couple of 70mm DTS prints for large screens like the Imperial Bio. Not to do so would be a crime!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: