Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century JJ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Century JJ
Phil Housh
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Phil Housh   Email Phil Housh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me what would be a fair price for a Century JJ setup? Or are parts not available for it anymore? [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-26-2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Is Richard L. selling his that he yanked out of the 8th St. Marketplace before they tore it down?)

Phil Housh
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2008 09:15 PM      Profile for Phil Housh   Email Phil Housh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick's son Mike is considering it, but I get first dibs on it if the price is right. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-27-2008 04:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil... I'm pretty sure that Marvin has first dibs on them... Don't mess with the Marvin! Actually some JJ 70mm trap parts have been discontinued by Strong. We recently had to complete a partial one for a customer and several parts came up as NLA!! They may be available through Wolk but that too is uncertain, I think we completed our trap with used parts from them. I wouldn't offer very much $$ for them... 500 bucks apiece perhaps... 70mm gear is not worth a whole lot with digital looming near. They've also been sitting for almost a decade now.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-27-2008 06:03 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the soundhead is 99.9% identical to 35mm. The projector, too, makes an excellent 35mm machine. (wearing parts are the same.) I do believe that $500 is way too low.

We do stock most parts for JJ, so, in the short term, there is no problem. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2008 08:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis is correct. Enough of the parts are the same to not make the projector a bad thing to have and is relatively easy to support. At the show, I talked with Rick at Strong about the NLA status of several things, not specific to the JJ but that was one of the examples. What I was told was that it is more of a no longer stocked status. If you really want the part, get a quote on having it made...however you will be paying for them to make you your 1-off part.

There is a certain reasonableness to not having to make a production run on a part that sells about 2 every 10-years. It isn't like they've canned the trap bands or runners or pad rollers...etc. Wolk is also a good source to have 1-offs made...they seem much more interested in that sort of business than Strong.

As Louis said, the JJ does very well on 35mm...better, in fact, than the SA.

And as to film's longevity...the digital speculation is just that.

Steve

Phil Housh
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 09:30 AM      Profile for Phil Housh   Email Phil Housh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Marvin is no longer doing any theatre work that I know of. The last I heard was he is no longer working at the Egyptian although I have not been in contact with him for quite sometime. [uhoh] As per the JJ, I think I will continue talking with Mike about it. I removed it from the theatre some years ago and it was in ok condition. I believe it is still complete. It would be really cool to finally get rid of the Pro35 and replace it with a REAL projector. [beer]

Thanks for all the other replies. I appreciate everyone's input!

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the proper apologies, could someone enlighten me as to the NLA term? I am familiar with the NOS term, but not that one.

PS: I know someone who has a JJ for sale. PM me if interested.

Thanks,
Andrés

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2008 12:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NLA = No Longer Available

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-27-2008 12:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hardly implying that they were a bad machine... one of my favorites in fact. Its just the value of 70mm gear has more or less dropped to just above scrap value... weather or not they can run 35mm or how well doesn't matter much as to their worth. I think at $500 per machine is Phil is making a very fair offer .

Having parts made one up, especially by someone like Strong who is probably just going to farm it out to someone like LaVezzi is purely a rediculous thought... just go to the source in the first place and at least save yourself the 40%+ markup! Its always the first part thats the most expensive in a small run... normally to expensive to even consoder having it done unless its a very simple part, multiples are still priced rediculous although less expensive than a single part... hundreds of parts are however affordable per unit cost. I can definately speak with experience on this having had many parts custom made by LaVezzi and Wolk. Generally in single quantity the part costs far more than the projector or piece of gear is worth, the custom Sony 3000 sprocket we had LaVezzi make recently is a very good example. One sprocket cost around $1200.00 or way more than the penthouse is worth, 12 cost about 400.00 each and double that quantity and the cost drops to half of 400.00 or about the present cost of the Sprocket from Sony... Add another dozen and the price is way below dealer net on the actual Sony Sprocket and feesable to do. To keep the price out of the ludicrous range you have to have at least X number of parts made up which is way more than just one. The good thing about the Sony Sprocket and the Phillips parts we had custom made is that we end up with a much higher quality part than the manufacturer can supply and we can sell them at a lower cost. Manufacturer discontinuance of certain parts and high one up custom parts expense is what causes equipment become obsolete.

Mark

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 12:52 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Steve.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-27-2008 11:44 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark's post is exactly why everyone will see big increases in almost every '35mm' part soon.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-28-2008 06:08 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John; such is the rule of "unintended consequences." Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-28-2008 09:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those "Unintended Consiquences" will just help in bring in digital even faster.

MArk

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-28-2008 06:45 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I was thinking more of the term: "collateral damage!"

I was wondering if we might reach a point soon where used, decent 35mm equipment is *so* cheap it slows the growth of digital. I've seen entire projector setups (console with P/S, automation, projector) go for $5K-$7K.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: