Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Part number for transmission gear XL

Author Topic: Part number for transmission gear XL
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-24-2008 11:26 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that there are two - probably more -- different gear part numbers for the transmission gear (bakelite) between the XL head and whatever soundhead you are using. We combination we have been using has been working without problem for a number of years now. Recently another projectionist came in and heard the noise that projector was making and he said it was caused by the wrong transmission gear. There are different ones and ours was wrong, thus the louder operating noise than the other machine. I said, but it's been running like this since we had the head refurbished. He said, it wasn't good to run it like that and would send us the number of the correct gear. OK, good information, but he never got back to us with the correct part number.

Do you think any damage could have been done running with this "off" gear? He said even though it looks identical to the eye and fits fine and obviously works OK, it's bad for the projector. I must say tho, the picture is just as steady as the other projector and the resolution target image looks as good; I was thinking possibly additional vibration would tranmit to and degrade the image, but doesn't seem that is true.

Anyone know what the correct gear number is for an XL mating to a SH soundhead transmission gear -- more importantly, anyone HAVE the correct gear we could purchase?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2008 11:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'd help to see a picture of what you have on there now so we can be sure what bracket casting you have.

For Simplex sound head the gear PN is, G-1826
Shaft for Simplex is PN is, P-1526

For RCA sound head the gear PN is, G-2153
Shaft for RCA is PN is, P-2828

Both versions use 608ZZ bearings. I included the shaft PN because sometimes they get torn up a but.

We stock all parts for XL, SH-1000, And RCA

Mark

CLACO Equipment And Service
1212 South State St
Salt Lake City, UT
801-355-1250 Office

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-24-2008 02:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, you need to have the right projector gear too!

Before the seal kit era, the projector gears were:

P-1539 for Simplex sound mechanisms.
P-2489 for RCA PS-24 and MI-1023 - MI-1032
P-2811 for RCA MI-1040 - MI-1077, MI-9030 - MI-9070.

Mark listed the intermediate gear for the MI-1040..et al type...by far the most popular.

We have found the quality of the Strong seal kits for the gear drive systems to be a bit wanting in where they have the seal fall with respect to the gear sholder.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: