Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about the CP500 sound processor

Author Topic: Question about the CP500 sound processor
Todd Shelskt
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2008 06:27 AM      Profile for Todd Shelskt   Email Todd Shelskt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're experiencing a problem with 2 of our CP500 units. When in the Dolby SR or A mode, we've lost sound and been unable get it back. Even the bypass doesn't work. It's an intermittent problem. We could be 2 hours into a movie and the sound suddenly goes out.

No problems when we're in the digital mode, but we play films from India which rely on optical tracks (or DTS, which we don't have).

Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2008 08:32 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's strange that doesn't sound when is in bypass. I think that problem occurs somewhere in optical preamp, because during digital is ok, and you said that is happend with 2 units....don't know which chance is to have cell and reader on projector problem in same time on different machines?

If you have more 500's try replace preamp with some other.

So....check wiring, check cell and led, or reverse scan if you have, and check reader supply if is reverse scan if you want to be 100% sure that's ok.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-23-2008 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the power supply... I have lost a number of CP-500 supplies over the years. Power supplies were never Dolby's best feature..... Also....

If you happen to have Kelmar Red Reverse Scan analog readers then also check those power supplies as well. If you have the supply in the grey and white box it too will eventually fail. All of them do.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-23-2008 10:56 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark to check the Kelmar power supplies. I do want to clarify that the red LED will still light when the power to the preamp dies. (If that is the problem, you are not feeding audio so bypass does not help.)

Also, if you see discoloration on the multipin plug inside the power supply you are on the right track. So far, I have had 100% success resoldering the pins on the board and on the (hot) resistor located right next to it.

If not too far baked, you can consider this a permanent fix. The problem originated with improper solder techniques at the off-the-shelf vendor. Louis

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2008 11:01 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup cant agree more, check the Power Supplies for the CP500 and LED's. But here in Malaysia most indian prints are like that, we use DTS because the analog most of the time is very soft.

Good Luck.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2008 02:11 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: The bypass not working.
Stick a loop of Cat69T on and crash the CP500 into bypass, to see if bypass works at all. You'd be amazed at the number I've come across that are either not calibrated correctly for bypass, or don't have the bypass power supply connected.

Other than that, check the main PSU rails, don't rely on the indicator LEDs, the pre-amp, 222SR/A and CAT681 analogue switch card are all suspects. I concur with the comments made by my learned friends above;)

Todd Shelskt
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2008 11:02 PM      Profile for Todd Shelskt   Email Todd Shelskt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all of you for your help. Film-Tech is awesome!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: