Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bollywood question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bollywood question
Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 01:01 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater has recently started playing bollywood films. I've been placed under the impression instead of wasting time tearing it down, that I should just trash them when finished playing because it will never be picked up. Ofcourse, I realize I should ask the booker but I cant get a straight answer from him. I just hate spending the time to tear down a movie back onto cores if I dont have too.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-22-2008 01:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you not notice the condition of that Bollywood print? Prints don't get to that sort of pathetic condition without many, many plays and much handling by different people. (Either that or it played once at the Princess II.)

Trust me, someone will be back to pick that print up so they can circuit it to another theater. Bollywood doesn't care about quality. Sometimes I think they only make 3 prints of each movie. I have yet to see one in half-assed acceptable condition.

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 01:43 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
man-o-man, guess you should see the prints I have then. I have a total of 5 films right now all were brand spanking new. I was actually ivery impressed with how clean the films were compared to Technicolor & Deluxe.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 02:30 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fred,

Yes when you get lucky and get a brand-new one you get something better than the labs over here. On the other hand, if you get one that has been played elsewhere you're screwed; especially with the cores getting wound too loose (presumably by a place that doesn't have the right equipment for running onto cores).

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 07:07 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An average print run is 100 - 150 copies and they get run to death through a series of cinemas rated A/B/C/D....from first class to last class. The lab work is generally very good to excellent.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 07:16 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All our bolly's come in excellent condition. We do have problems getting them to pick them up though. We threaten to charge them storage fees. That usually works.
Just out of curiosity what do they make their prints from? Why are they so spongy?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 09:03 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Did you not notice the condition of that Bollywood print? Prints don't get to that sort of pathetic condition without many, many plays and much handling by different people.
It's been about 25 years since I worked a Bollywood house (Takoma Theatre in DC). Sad to know nothing has changed.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 10:15 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I've been lucky. The occasional Bollywood films I've had to deal with have usually been new prints, fresh from the lab. I'm always amused by the variety of shipping cases they come in. Here's a couple of exmaples:

Many of them come in these burlap covered cardboard
boxes. The first time I saw one of these I thought we
were getting giant shipments of hash or something:
 -

The last one I got came in this metal can-coffin:

-
All 7 reels were in here case. Technically, back when I was in the union I wouldn't have been allowed to lift this case. Now I'm too old to lift it! hahahhahaha

I have yet to receive a Bollywood film on any type of reel. They've always been on cores.

All of my Bollywood films have been picked up. Sometimes they sat around for months before we got instructions on where to ship them, but they all eventually went somewhere. I think it's sort of a cheap way for the distributer to avoid paying for vault storage fees. Just keep the print at the theater where it was last run and then have them ship it to the next venue when it gets booked again. Clever!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-22-2008 10:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a Bollywood film in any condition even remotely resembling "new." I envy those who have. The best ones come on cores, but without the cores, and the film slides around and cinches badly inside beat-up lab cans.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 11:45 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The burlap works well since the inside wrapping has a water resistant layer. I can quickly spot Indian products in our storehouse by the Burlap [Wink]
We have a Bollywood feature being made in Miami over the next few weeks; using Miami Beach and downtown Miami.....small world [Smile]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 02:02 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the Bollywood films we get are with the exception of frequently missing heads and or tails in very good condition. The Indian merchant who presents the films does so primarily as a service and a payback to the Indian community for their loyalty to his business. He doesn't play anything that is more than 2 weeks out from initial release date.

None are ever on reels as would be expected on films from outside the States and Canada. The ones that arrive without cores are what really pisses me off since when they run the last time we take up on cores in split reels and if the print arrived without cores we have to push our cores out, if we didn't we'd need 200 cores a year and we are not going to be the distributors core resupplier

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 02:53 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy 200 cores a year and bill the guy renting your theatre. They're not that expensive new, and they even show up ebay with some frequency.

Knocking out cores is Film Done Wrong.

--jhawk

Peter Das
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 08:43 PM      Profile for Peter Das   Email Peter Das   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
If anybody wants to get ridoff Bollywood movies, let me know.
I will pay all the shipping and handling charges to ship to me.
if it is in USA, ship to USA location and if it is in Canada, ship to Canada location.
email me at PAY ATTENTION TO THE RULES PETER

[ 03-22-2008, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 09:38 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
The last one I got came in this metal can-coffin:

I recognize that shipping box...was it Vanaja, by chance? We received two of those boxes for the San Diego Asian Film Festival last fall...at first I thought Vanaja was a very long film but, as it turns out, there were two prints: one for the festival, and one to go to a local art house for a longer run. I don't recall having problems with the print; the boxes, although heavy as heck, were pretty bombproof compared to the battered, mummified-in-shipping-tape cardboard boxes prints from abroad typically come in.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 11:05 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We asked the guy who rents the theatre about replacing the missing cores, he said he doesn't give a shit, that for what he pays the distributor (around $2500 to $3000) he's not going to give them anything.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: