Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AB-Chain (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AB-Chain
Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2008 08:48 AM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please give me a detailed guide to do A and B-chain Sound Alignment.What are software to use and can i get the softwares free.Any advice and help is very much appreciated.TQ.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-20-2008 09:27 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need (at minimum) a buzz-track loop and a pink-noise loop (try to get an older Dolby cat. 69 on B&W stock) for a mono system. An RTA is also good to have; otherwise you need someone with good ears.

The mono procedure is basically this: clean optics, use buzz-track to set lateral guides, use pink noise to set focus and azimuth (try to peak high frequency). Dolby tone or pink noise can be used to match the signal level with two projectors. Most mono systems don't have any EQ adjustment except for the speaker crossover (labelled "HF Attenuation" on Altec N500s), which you can set with an RTA (or by ear) by running pink-noise film (after doing the A-chain) and using the tap that gives the proper room response (rolling off the high frequencies, as the Dolby manuals discuss).

The procedure for Dolby systems in in their manuals. The CP50 manual is a good starting point and can be downloaded from the manuals section.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-20-2008 12:23 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
An RTA is also good to have; otherwise you need someone with good ears.

You need both.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2008 04:10 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How I do an A-Chain

1. I CLEAN THE OPTICS!

2. I start with Dolby Tone Cat. 69T and verify that I am getting the most signal level I can get out of the analog reader. I use my oscilloscope to check my signal level.

3. Then I run buzz track P35-BT and use an oscilloscope to adjust my lateral alignment

4. Then I run the left/right crosstalk film and use an oscilloscope to adjust the solar cell if present.

5. Next, I run Pink Noise Cat. 69P and adjust the frequency response and focus of the reader with an RTA and Oscilloscope.

6. Then I run the Dolby Tone Cat. 69T and adjust the optical pre-amp for proper "Dolby Tone"

7. I start at #1 again and make sure nothing has changed.

8. I run some reference material to vefify that it sounds good in the auditorium.

How I do a B-Chain

1. I verify the A-Chain

2. I set the amplifiers as reccomended for that particular amp.

3. I use my Pink Noise Generator and adjust each output level on the processor for 85DBC on my SPL meter (Except the subwoofer)

4. I set out my RTA Mics in the auditorium and adjust the frequency response on each channel to the X-Curve or ISO2969

5. I set the subwoofer level using my RTA

6. I re-check each channel to verify 85DBC with my pink noise generator and SPL meter.

7. I RUN REFERENCE MATERIAL TO MAKE SURE IT SOUNDS GOOD IN THE AUDITORIUM.

That is a simplified overview, it can get very involved when you add crossovers and parametric eq's but that is the simple process. I think this is the kind of thing that needs to be taught to someone in person and is an art to be handed down. I posted this simple overview because you asked but I would seek out an experienced tech to teach you.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-20-2008 04:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
I RUN REFERENCE MATERIAL TO MAKE SURE IT SOUNDS GOOD IN THE AUDITORIUM.

I love that line... [thumbsup] ! There are but a handful of folks here that actually know what a given refrence reel SHOULD sound like... having heard it on the re-recording stage or in the presence of the the re-recording team that made the mix in a capable theater.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-20-2008 07:52 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right! Usually they tune and then run for the car! Louis

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-23-2010 01:48 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 916 days since the last post.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 01:48 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would good reference material be?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-23-2010 03:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby CP200 manual is a good reference

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-23-2010 04:41 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A reel you know how should sound. I have one I heard in the post-production mixing room and I have an idea on how it should sound.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2010 07:00 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used trailers in the past, which I know is probably a bad idea, but I didn't know what else to use.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-23-2010 11:52 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I love that line... ! There are but a handful of folks here that actually know what a given refrence reel SHOULD sound like... having heard it on the re-recording stage or in the presence of the the re-recording team that made the mix in a capable theater.
Exactly. It's like classical music recording engineers who rarely go to live concerts (I know a few of these). How do they know what a chanber music ensemble or an orchestra is supposed to sound like if they don't ever hear them live acoustically?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-24-2010 10:34 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby Jiffy and I still like Dolby Listen

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-24-2010 11:09 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little tidbit of information for you:

Back in the 1940's, the BBC's radio engineers used to use the song, "Teddy Bear's Picknic" by the Henry Hall Orchestra as their reference recording:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Bears%27_Picnic#Use_by_BBC_Radio_Engineers
quote:
Use by BBC Radio Engineers

The 1932 Henry Hall recording was used for more than 30 years by BBC audio engineers (up until the early 1960s) to test and calibrate audio equipment. It was possibly last played at the end of the final transmission from the old Regional transmitters at Washford in the early 1980s.[citation needed]

Its especially good recording quality and the large tonal range of the music made it ideal for checking the frequency response of audio equipment. BBC Engineering even had special vinyl pressings made to reduce any surface noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZANKFxrcKU

For quite a while, I've wanted to get a high quality copy of that song to use as reference. [Big Grin]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-24-2010 11:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually it would be nice if dolby issued both those films on DVD as a test disk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: