Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rebuilding Christie Ultramittents (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rebuilding Christie Ultramittents
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2008 07:10 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than sending these back to Christie for repair/exchange, is there anyone who rebuilds these at a more reasonable price?

|  IP: Logged

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2008 01:01 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
American Cinema Equipment in Portland, OR will rebuild these for much less than Christie. Many of the big chains use them for rebuilds.

Highly recommended. I've sent a lot of intermittent movements to their shop and have had great performance.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2008 07:00 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tristan. I'll give them a call.

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, thanks Tristan [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-25-2008 10:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a side note I did an Ultramittent overhaul today with one of the new LaVezzi Ultramittent Kits instead of fitting, lapping the bushings and sorting ball bearings myself as I normally do. I have to say that LaVezzi has finally hit the high mark in rebuild kits. If you laid all these parts out in a big windstorm they'd literally blow themselves right back together. All the parts are literally a perfect fit and its just a 30 to 45 min rebuild job not counting the run in time.

Mark

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2008 04:56 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could say the same thing about the quality of Lavezzi cam shafts that I've been getting. There seems to be a real lack of consistency with the cam pin, the more common problem being that some are slightly over sized and pull through with too much resistance, so I have to fix that little problem to get them working properly. The other not so common problem being that sometimes you get a pin that is not pressed in strait and will hardly pull through at all. Having said all that, I almost always have good things to say about Lavezzi quality. Although I have yet to try out the Lavezzi rebuild kit for the ultra, I really do like the Century kits a lot.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-28-2008 10:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

When we were rebuilding Ultramittents for Christie a number of years back (I believve you guys were too) the parts batches we received from LaVezzi were not tolerance matched at all and gettingthings matched and then ramped up to rebuld them was not an easy task ... I think you'll find the kit parts are much better matched, however if there is a tight pin its not all that big a deal to lap out the slots in the star a little.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-29-2008 04:45 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, it is far better that they be a bit tight, rather than loose. This is the process lapped by you and then "run in" during the in inital assembly. Of course a thorough cleaning after run in is essential to remove the particles shaved off during run in. Wed use a heavy duty industrial ultrasonic cleaner for this.

As regards LaVezzi matching....maybe, but we take 25 or 30 newly purchased cams & stars and "rematch" them. We once didn't and had left over parts that were unusuable. Let's just say that we are better at matching than they are! Louis

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I have never actually lapped out the star wheel, just being honest here, but I don't really know how to do it properly. What I have been doing is using some 1200 grit sand paper on the cam pin. It usually does not take much to get it into spec. just enough so the pin will pull through smoothly. I do this with the simplex cams and usually it results in an intermittent that runs so quiet you can hardly tell it's on.

Of course there are the ones that pull through perfectly right out of the box, thus making my job much easier.

Sadly, if and when this DCIP thing goes through, I suspect I will see a tremendous drop off in rebuild work. Who knows how many years I have left in this. I currently get about 95% of my business from Regal, AMC and Cinemark, so I'm not looking forward to the day when my rebuild work goes away, as I actually do like fixing these things.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-31-2008 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had to lap out Century C stars a number of times. I use a piece of glass and lapping compound and count strokes making sure that each side of the slots get the same number of strokes... works really well but don't loose count! Thats a really good idea about the 1200 grit Randy... the fine lines that the 1200 grit will put into the pin are actually very good oil carriers and the cam pin will last alot longer than if it were just smooth. I always thought that a cam pin with tiny little grooves around the diameter would also be good oil carriers and make the pin last longer. The Brenkert roller pin was alo a very good long lasting design. I don't recall anyone else ever doing a roller pin but there may be others....

Mark

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 08:30 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know I've never actually had a Brenkert Int. apart. that's interesting and I wonder if it's anything like the pizza-meccanica intermittents. The V-5 has a cam roller that's basicly a sleeve that fits over an eccentric pin. When you get a new star it comes with the cam pin roller assy and the pin will definitely drag through the star, but it's also supposed to do that. I can run the intermittent in at about half of film speed, by the time I come back in the morning, the cam has seated itself to the star quite nicely. Pretty cool actually.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-01-2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, The Brenkert is modeled after some of the European stuff. Shakamecanicca and Prevost mainly.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-01-2008 10:04 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brenkert was patterned after a early Ernamann

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 02:35 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Power's 6B intermittents used roller pins in the 1920's. The 6A did not. Probably other European and Japanese machines did also. I agree with Gordon about the Brenkert intermittent.

Had a couple apart to check for wear and never found any. Long lasting movement.

Randy, I havent had to lap a star for a while. We used to get oversize cam pins and lap stars to fit on some rebuilds. Quality from LaVezzi is usually pretty good. There were lapping blocks made for this. Never found one for sale.
Dick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-01-2008 05:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other interesting thing about Brenkert movements is that neither the star nor the cam are hardened steel. Prooves that when you do it right it lasts long no matter how well hardened the metal is. Ballantyne s steeltars and cams are also not hardened... they also see many tips break off of the stars...

Dick... LApping blocks in many sizes can be bought at many machinery supply places. A piece of glass the correct thickness works just as well though.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: