Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » help with Super Simplex 35's

Author Topic: help with Super Simplex 35's
Tim McRae
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2008 02:16 PM      Profile for Tim McRae   Author's Homepage   Email Tim McRae       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I'm a first time poster here, and relative newbie to the industry...

I recently purchased a small-town movie cinema that still uses two old Super Simplex 35's for projection. The previous cinema owners badly neglected the projection equipment, so I would like to overhaul the projectors, give them a thorough cleaning, and make sure everything is properly adjusted and focused.

The only problem is I'm a total newbie. I've tried searching the web (including film-tech) for manuals or instructions, but the few things I've found either don't seem to be very detailed or they assume a certain level of experience that I simply don't have. Either that, or they rely on scanned photos that are so dark and blurry I can't figure out what's what.

So I need help. I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone out there have any good straight-forward instructions for servicing Super Simplex 35's, or could anyone provide advice or tips that might help me overhaul them? We are in a remote location so it's pretty much impossible to get an experienced service technician on-site to help.

Thanks.
Tim

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-12-2008 03:14 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check in the manuals section under this title
Simplex Super projector installation, maintenance and operation manual

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2008 06:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Super is an absolute classic a really great projector. Above all don't force anything and be extremely careful when working with the gear train. Some of the fibre gears are quite fragile.... Especially the double bevel gear on the short verticle shaft... Parts are still available but you have to rummage around to find em. You may end up using one to keep the other going and so on..... Memorize the service manual BEFORE you work on the machinery!!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: