Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Orcon II 6000 Schematic sought

Author Topic: Orcon II 6000 Schematic sought
Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who is currently constructing a drive-in theatre (his first-ever!) and he is having some problems with an Orcon II 6000 4kW lamphouse. He says that it has two burned out relays, a broken circuit breaker and a previous repair that someone did that changed some of the wiring. He has downloaded the ORC lamphouse manual off this website but it really isn't specific to his unit and he'd really like an exact diagram to help get these troubles resolved. Thanks for any suggestions. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-10-2008 05:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do him a favor & have him get a decent lamphouse. These were obsolete 20 years ago and most parts aren't available unless he wants to build another lamphouse on that frame. Louis

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2008 08:52 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I run some outdoor screens with those Lamphouses Here is what my experience is. With a Brand new reflector and a Brand new lamp, The light I got was not up to my satisfaction on a 60 ft screen. But does the job well on a 32ft screen.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-10-2008 09:37 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ORC manuals where many times not accurate due to production or original client modifications. We gutted at least a dozen Orcon II and dropped newer style horizontal air plenum cooled optical benches with a dramatic increase of light [Smile]

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2008 11:06 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, all...a techie was able to offer a copy of the schematic...and my friend now knows what he can bypass and what needs to be repaired. [beer]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-11-2008 11:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Do him a favor & have him get a decent lamphouse. These were obsolete 20 years ago and most parts aren't available unless he wants to build another lamphouse on that frame. Louis

Now thats not entirely true. Strong DOES stock both the reflector and the ignitor. The rectifier is actually quite reliable and provides clean DC. The reflector is also available directly from Opti-Form as as are all the other supposedly obsolete ORC relfectors. However....

I absolutely agree with Richard to installing another entire optical bench in there. Check with the guys at Cinema Equipment Sales in Miami... they offer an entire optical bench with glass Chinese relfector thats less expensive than replacing just the reflector in a Strong Highlite... We've donme a few of them and it just about triples your on screen light.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-11-2008 06:38 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He has the XH45S horizontal lamphouse, not a console.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: