Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS soundtrack (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SDDS soundtrack
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 04:08 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering since SDDS no longer supports the processors, how long will they continue to put the SDDS track on the film.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-09-2008 05:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two things...it isn't that Sony does not support their processors...it is the level at which they support their processors...you can buy all the LEDs you want and from what I can tell, you can also obtain FRB (their equivalent to an RXO system) on the boards...it is very impersonal though. Mark reported not getting sprockets ordered for many months...but they DID eventually make them.

As for the SDDS track...anyone's statement on that is just speculation. Though I don't see any 8-channel mixes yet this year...the number of 8-channel films seems to have exceeded Dolby's Surround-EX releases. At least Sony still publishes their films and 8-channel status. How does one know when a film is being released in Surround-EX?

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2008 12:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Mark reported not getting sprockets ordered for many months...but they DID eventually make them.

I'm also finding that they seem to be stocking less and less RXO boards. We did wait for sprockets for almost 11 months and we finally had them made by LaVezzi. The Sony sprockets we had on order for those 11 months showed up about two weeks after our LaVezzi order arrived. We sent the Sony sprockets back for credit... The LaVezzi's have VKF teeth and are hardened stainless steel.... they work great and they'll never wear out. Cost was actually much less per unit than the Sony's even with new bearings.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2008 12:56 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark,

Were those LaVezzi sprokets special order or are they in-stock items? If so, what is the item#? I'm looking to replace my existing DFR-2000 sprokets.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-10-2008 06:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark's sprockets were for the 3000. The 2000 series sprockets were ALWAYS LaVezzi. In fact, a key difference between the stock Sony sprocket for the 2000 and what you can get from LaVezzi is the hardcoat version (it will be black in color rather than silver). The hardcoat version lasts longer and doesn't have that annoying buzz to it when it runs. I'll have to look up its part number.

The LaVezzi number is 432C37M

Steve

[edited to add LaVezzi part number]

[ 03-10-2008, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Steve Guttag ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2008 09:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We stock both sprockets... The 3000 is indeed custom be we have extras that are for sale. The 2000 sprockert we stock is not just the "off the shelf" LaVezzi version...its also hard coated. They will hard coat them on special order but its not an off the shelf option from them. We see no wear on those DFPR 20000 sprockets teeth even after 4 years of use. We also stock those... both are priced way less than the stock sprockets from Sony.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2008 11:59 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
The hardcoat version lasts longer and doesn't have that annoying buzz to it when it runs.
Its the "buzz" that I'm trying to get rid of. Having to listen to that "buzz" for several hours is enough to drive one insane. And not to mention you can also notice it in the auditorium. The current sprockets look good with no under cutting of the teeth. So what is causing it?

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-11-2008 05:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the sprockets with a razor blande...you definately have some hooking going on...the stock sprockets are soft aluminum.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-11-2008 08:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
We have the sprockets hard coated with a very similar coating that the 35/70 LaVezzi sprockets get... if there were hooking it would be plainly visible as a thin silver line at the base of ewach tooth and you'd hear it. We expect far better life than a hard coated intermittent sprocket would see because there is not as much force against the base of the teeth.

Mark

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2008 03:18 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Weigel
Its the "buzz" that I'm trying to get rid of. Having to listen to that "buzz" for several hours is enough to drive one insane. And not to mention you can also notice it in the auditorium. The current sprockets look good with no under cutting of the teeth. So what is causing it?
Probably sprocket.....try reverse sprocket and try then, several times this solved buzz problem.

Also, concidering SDDS on film is studio wish who produce movie, not sony.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-11-2008 03:32 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is the same as Steve G's: parts are available, but you order them from a Sony 'central' supply facility in New Jersey that is staffed by gals who only look up part numbers. I don't know what happened to Steve L, who was quite helpful there.

On the production side, I heard or read somewhere that Sony will license their SDDS track for $1. You just pay whatever you would normally for the audio production mix.

Question: After you have produced the soundtrack, how much work is there to provide just the SDDS audio?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-11-2008 03:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the nu-optic westrex recording cameras record the bi-lateral stereo optical DTS time code SRD and SDDS in a single pass
I believe that the MWA green laser only does SDDS and SRD with the optical in a single pass
I don't know about the older RCA Gaumount Kalee and WRE cameras if they can even be retrofitted for SVA

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-11-2008 08:37 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Levy currently works for N.T. Audio Visual in Los Angeles. Louis

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2008 08:39 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have noticed lately here in OZ that a few prints have been released without the SDDS tracks. Is this a sign that Distributors are starting to phase out the format here in Oz as there are not that many SDDS systems here, even though the SDDS logo appears in the end credits.Are prints in the U.S starting to have no SDDS tracks?
Cheers

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2008 09:36 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox and Paramount are 2 of the major studios that I can think of that don't always encode SDDS. This almost always is the case with independent studios.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: