Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Latest Firmware for Cinema Processors/Players

Author Topic: Latest Firmware for Cinema Processors/Players
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-09-2008 03:47 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be much confusion about the latest and/or most stable firmware for the various cinema processors and players.

This is a one-stop place to post the latest and/or most reliable versions for:

Dolby CP-500
Dolby CP-650
DTS 6D
DTS XD-10
SONY DFP-2000
SONY DFP-3000
and any others...

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2008 05:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't any for the latter two... they work fine...er when they are working. There is but one version that I will use in the CP500, ver-1.65... Steve can use the older versions if he wants to but then why does Dolby come out with new firmware updates... it rarely actually add features cause the 500's more or less maxed out as it sits, it is more often a much more stable version in one aspect or other. If the newer version wasn't better then they'd have everyone simply reverting to the older versions. Recent versions of the 650 stuff is also fine... XD-10... It won't be around nor in use much longer in the large numbers it is today. DTS does rather wide spread mailings of the software for the XD-10...wasn't there one in your last Sunday's paper... there was in mine.

Hahaha Just wait till you see the flood of D-Cinema firmware upgrades... Brad would need a whole new site with enough space just for those [eyes]

When ever I leave a service stop my customers are running on what ever is the latest release available as long as its "officially Released" software. At least its been field tested for some time by that point. The same is true of most IT installations.... software updates are literally endless.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-09-2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We have hundreds of gigs of storage space available and a few thousand gigs of bandwidth per month. Bring it on.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-09-2008 05:55 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, thanks for confusing the issue more...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-09-2008 06:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Steve can use the older versions if he wants to but then why does Dolby come out with new firmware updates... it rarely actually add features cause the 500's more or less maxed out as it sits
Bzzzzt wrong...with each CP500 firmware came some sort of feature update, 1.65 was the bug fix for 1.50 to 1.61. The problem is that with 1.50 and beyond, you got a nasty bug of the memory dump. 1.2 was very stable but did not have the auto-digital stuff that 1.31 had and 1.31 is quite stable. 1.5 got the automation connector to "echo" the front panel button pushes.

So, if I have a theatre with 1.2 and no problems...I leave it...if they have 1.31 and don't have Surround-EX, I leave it...if they have 1.50-1.61, I now will update them to 1.65 or 1.65EX...however, when 1.61 was the release version...I did "downgrade" them to 1.31....fixed many a problem, memory dump, automation not working...etc.

For the CP650...anything before 2.0.10.8 is unstable and could cause a memory dump. Anything before 1.1.7.0 will have odd noises depending on how it is tuned (raise some 1/3 octave EQ...you might get a rushing noise in a channel even when nothing is playing.

After 2.0.10.8, most of the updates have been to allow new boards to work...like the Cat 790 after the Cat 794 was replaced. You need firmware 2.1.9.0 to get the new board to work (with a lower number...that is the oddity there). I'm not sure, but I think the 2.2.x.x was brought out to allow the internal crossover board...but 2.1 might work with that too. 2.1.9.0 is also the last Dolby-E capable firmware for the CP650.

2.2.x.x. is not a very good nor stable version of CP650 software...it has been tagged with glitches...I think the Gynormous Video Level meter is possible with this as well as on the front panel (if you go into the setup mode...silly as this is a read only level...it should be easy to get to...but I digress)

2.3.x.x. adds the ability to reassign all but 05 and 10 formats and for those of us with remote controls...it fixes a long nagging (together with a hardware update) problem of remotes going haywire.

2.3.4.4 is when global audio delay was introduced.

2.3.5.3 is current and seems to be stable and seems to be a bug-fix version of the software.

DTS 6 and 6D seem like they are going to stop at 1.46 and they seem stable enough.

DTS6AD...no comment.

The XD10 is current so is subject to changes...Getting to version 2 is important as you are far less likely to get a dead unit (stuck in boot up with it) and can do updates rather than complete upgrades. Most of the DTS updates add features though...like separate 35 and 70mm lip sync delays.

For the Sony units, I'd have to look things up...firmware was not a big issue for the 2000...they got to the final version pretty quickly. The 2500 only had the one version...for the 3000, I think 2.74 was the beginning of the stable versions and 2.9.x was the final version.

Steve

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-09-2008 06:42 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve for your very informative post.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-09-2008 07:42 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve; if it works OK; leave it alone. I specifically instruct my techs NOT to upgrade for its own sake. Leave a working system alone.

I have had minor problems with the EX software update and have removed a couple of EX with the software reverting to the non-ex version of 1.65. Problems solved. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2008 11:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see no reason not to have 1.65 on all processors. There have been zero problems with it.

Louis... I only installed three EX systems before I reaslized it was nothing more than another bug up Lucasfilms ass. But none of my 1.65EX systems have ever blipped, going on over 5 years now or something like that with 1.65EX.

Brad... For D-Cinema updates you will eat up "GIGS" in a big hurry!

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-10-2008 01:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
We have hundreds of gigs of storage space available and a few thousand gigs of bandwidth per month. Bring it on.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: