Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Potts motors-2 pin vs. 3 pin

Author Topic: Potts motors-2 pin vs. 3 pin
Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2008 09:47 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are Potts platter motors with two pin connectors compatible with platter trees with three pin connectors? My tech sent me replacements with two pin connectors, and they don't seem to work in rewind on my three pin trees. He insists that they should work fine, but I'm confident that I am installing it correctly, and it only operates in payout operation.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-08-2008 11:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a #1740 motor, which is for an AP (auto-programming) platter. You need the #1826 motor, for an Alpha platter.

The motors themselves *will* work electrically, but you first have to take them apart and transfer the 1826's cable, internal resistor, and housing to the 1740 motor.

If you're not comfortable performing surgery, it's probably easier just to get the proper motor to begin with.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 06:46 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that answers my question. Now to convince my tech...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-09-2008 07:33 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is nothing new; any tech would know this from experience. (I have made this mistake myself, since most Potts/Strong are NOT autoprogramming and the 3 pin is the USUAL.) So, we stock both. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: