Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Odd sound loss

Author Topic: Odd sound loss
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2008 05:53 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just started having a strange problem where dialog is mysteriously cutting in and out. I stood in the auditorium to assess the problem, and it was very odd -- music and background noises sounded fine, but the dialog was weak and crackly.

In the booth, the same problem was evident through the monitor. I checked all the inputs going into the processor, everything was fine. I traced the wires from the soundhead to the processor, checking for a problem, but again, everything seemed fine. The film was seated properly in the soundhead, and the red laser was in focus and aimed correctly.

As I was looking for the source of the problem, the sound came back on... I didn't do anything! 20 minutes later, it happened again. I opened the sound gate just a little and moved the film with my finger, to ensure it wasn't loose. That was fine. I moved the red laser back a little, then up a little. Didn't seem to affect it.

Finally I stopped the film and cleaned the cell and laser with a q-tip and lens cleaner. Started it back up, and it seems to be okay... for now. I'll continue monitoring it throughout the day, but in the meantime, has anyone had similar problems? Any ideas what may have caused this?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-08-2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Telling us the type of soundhead processor and amps would be helpfull

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2008 06:17 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soundhead is Simplex SH-1k, Star/RS I believe. Amps are Strong TA 240 & 242. Speakers are set up in a center/surround configuration.

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 05:59 AM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd start by swapping amps. Also check the speaker connections - I have had the speaker terminals slowly come loose in the past. I now make routine speaker terminal checks.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-09-2008 06:41 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your monitor allow you to listen to either the amp inputs or the speaker output? If so, use it to see if the problem is occuring before or after the amps.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 09:48 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sound processor are you using?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 05:00 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem could be the center channel eq card needs it's contacts cleaned where it plugs into the processor OR the eq card needs replacing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: