Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Anti-Piracy coding (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New Anti-Piracy coding
Richard M. Garbarini
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2008 10:11 AM      Profile for Richard M. Garbarini   Author's Homepage   Email Richard M. Garbarini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Europe, Technicolor (and others) have been using an anti-piracy coding system whereby the digital sound is disabled over up to 9 frames and the analog sound is marked with a bar code (applied with laser or in the printing process). Has anyone seen this in the United States, and if so when?

FYI: There have been two generations of techniques patented since the Kodak CAP coding system. Just trying to find out if anyone has noticed them in use.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-03-2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that drop with the noise associated would be terribly distracting to the presentation and would end up with those reels being rejected by many theaters.

Richard M. Garbarini
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2008 01:14 PM      Profile for Richard M. Garbarini   Author's Homepage   Email Richard M. Garbarini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The drop in noise is imperceptable. The bar code, optimally, is placed over 4 frames, and cannot be heard with the human ear (not actually always the case.) You have to analyze a read-out of the sound to get the code. The last movie I have seen coded with this method was The Golden Compass.

Technicolor and Warner have another patented method which actually varies the length bewteen set scenes to come up with a number for the print.

The MPAA here, and the GVU in Germany have had a terrible time authenticating films with the numbering and CAP system when the film is re-recorded with a cam corder in the theatre.

Max Biela
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2008 02:15 PM      Profile for Max Biela   Email Max Biela   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a photo of a brand new print of "Chicken Little" (Technicolor Rome):

-

It's not a barcode that is "imperceptable" but a rather loud noise scratched into the soundtrack in a very quiet scene. It's distracting like hell and it wasn't possible to get a print without a mark like this. Oh, and guess what, there is big orange CAP code too!

Richard M. Garbarini
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2008 02:45 PM      Profile for Richard M. Garbarini   Author's Homepage   Email Richard M. Garbarini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, by Jove I think he got it. That is exactly what I was looking for - just in America. So it is not imperceptable! Thank you so much.

If anyone can find an example in the US it would be amazing.

Sebastian Binz
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2008 04:30 PM      Profile for Sebastian Binz   Email Sebastian Binz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that a bunch of new films in Germany do contain this sort of marking. I found it in the German movie "Keinohrhasen" as well as in a copy of the newest Rambo.
In the auditorium you can actually hear them and, well, someone lately described those sounds as "farts in the sound".

Since those marks usually appear in scenes without much noise, they are very annoying.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-03-2008 04:40 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, talk about a brute-force method! I guess they think most theaters no longer use the analoge track anymore, and the few that do don't count.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-03-2008 04:46 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would really like to think this is a sad, sad, sad, joke.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-03-2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Doubt it. Valenti has the industry brainwashed even after his death. [Frown]

What about dts? Surely they don't destroy enough of the timecode to force dts to drop to analog.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2008 05:28 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know how the digital audio is disabled? The "lines" shown on the film will screw with the DTS time code, but DTS will "freewheel" for about 4 seconds. I do not see Dolby digital or SDDS on that film. The lines look almost like this was caused by a printer problem. Have you tried getting a replacement reel, and if so, is it marked the same way?

If this IS a form of crap code, you and everyone you know need to raise hell with your government, and get this crap stopped.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-03-2008 06:33 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Bruce; looks like the "high quality" of Technicolor/Rome. Louis

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-03-2008 07:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That does not seem the audio piracy code to me.

The audio piracy code is made covering SRD track for some frames. The CP drops to analog and on the analog track there is some blu bars for two frames that make a tone in the room. I suppose that this tone is different for print number basis, since the location of the noise is the same on every prints.

How can you say that cannot be heard??
I went upstairs during screenings many and many times before understanding that it was a new CAP code since 2004...

I was in touch with Dolby labs UK. They told me that it's used in USA too (that's what they told me) and that they were fighting with studios to remove them.

On DTS, I really don't know HOW, the tone is overimposed by the player, it does not drop to SR. It's less noticeable.

Well, if you have a very well aligned sound system, the short SR drop is not so much distracting, and they have improved it (I think it's shorter). But in real world SR is left to its destiny and you can just imagine what can be heard in the auditorium. And think to older processors, that makes drops in a more noticeable way. CP650 2.2.5.0 wave just a bit when going again in Digital.

Here's a shot.

-

-

At this time Disney stopped the terrible tecnique.

Brad: Rejecting? I talked to Technicolor Rome (this tecnique is a Technicolor patent) and they told me that the only complains they had was from theater with WHITE light on SR...
They told me that this system is working, and that noone is complaying, besides me.

Ciao
Marco

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-03-2008 07:54 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you freaking kidding me??!?

Anyone else for chopping that crap out of the print completely and throwing it away? I'd claim print damage if anyone asked. I've done that with the huge orange dots too on occasion when they were unbelievably intrusive. It looks like you'd only lose about two or three frames there. A much better option in my opinion than hearing some random noise that interrupts the show every single time the movie plays.

How idiotic.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-03-2008 08:07 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

First time I heard that was on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I run upstairs to stop and to check. That time I chopped away the offending frames because I thought of a print defect.
But this shit is printed FOUR time for one of the reel. It's stupid and useless, but I really prefer four noises than mutilating four time a reel. More, think of the difficult in a multiplex inspecting all reels searching for Audio CrAP code...

I complained, but seems I was the only one. If the theater was mine, I would NEVER accept a print with a defective soundtrack. Do we buy 10.000$ Dolby equipment to see it reverting four time a movie?

I fought my battle, and I lost it.

Ciao
M

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2008 12:53 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted here about 'bloops' in the audio a while ago. Possibly this was the new CAP code I was hearing; the sound briefly going to a tone and then recovering.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: