Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex Tension Band adjustment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Simplex Tension Band adjustment
Nicholas Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2008 04:02 PM      Profile for Nicholas Stevens   Email Nicholas Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been searching the forum's and have not found a post on the proper way to set the tension on the film for a simplex projector. Can someone either point me to a post or explain the proper way to set the tension? Thanks in advance

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2008 05:52 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want the least amount of tension possible to achieve a steady image.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2008 07:41 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean is absolutely correct. As far as how to perform the adjustment, you can find the instructions in the manual, which can be found in the manuals section of this site if you do not have one. Basically, on the outboard side of the film trap, you will see a knurled knob with 5 numbers on it. Each of these numbers represents an increasing amount of tension, with 1 being the least tension and 5 being the most. Start with the tension all the way down, and only increase if you need to in order to obtain a steady picture. If your picture is steady, don't go any tighter than necessary.

I beleive that tension knob is common to all models of Simplex. At least all that I am familiar with.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-01-2008 11:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only sight variation in tension is when using either Acetate or Polyster prints since "poly" film is slightly thinner than the acetate based prints.

And even such, "poly" film does have it's variances in thickness where adjustments are still necessary - but the norm still holds true: less tension the better.

Flat gate XL's had their tension knob on the gate itself since it adjusted the pressure of the the gate rails into the trap rails, whereas the curved gate units had the tension knob on top of the trap being behind the upper part of the bands and this either made the bands more slack or more tighter.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2008 08:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
You want the least amount of tension possible to achieve a steady image.

Dudes...
I find that line absolutely hilarious [Big Grin] ! With the amount of unsteadiness we typically see in the crapo release prints of today I am finding more and more Simplex's, Century's, Christies, Norelco's, etc., whose gate tension is turned all the way up in an effort to get something stabilized on the screen. Of course these "booth mongers"... some of which are adults... can't blame it just on the kids... think they're doing their job correctly in doing so. We tell em not to turn it past 2:00 on the dial NO MATTER WHAT but by the next visit there's someone else running the booth as the last "Monger" is now the manager over at McDonalds! We rebuild alot of intermittents because of this... Doesn't seem to affect the Ultramittents though for what ever reason, perhaps more attributable to the synthetic oil in them than the actual internal parts which are identical in size to Simplex X-L. Thank God Digital Cinema is just round the corner....

At any rate you may want to revise that "standard booth line" to say... "If you have to turn it past 3 on the dial its probably not going to get any steadier so leave it at 2 to prevent excessive mechanism wear."

Mark

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2008 09:52 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I should have said "You should use the minimum amount of tension needed to stop unwanted motion of the film in the gate" [Smile]

How much should we be willing to alter our practices due to lab errors? What if release prints start to come out all with the same misprinted SR*D tracks what becomes correct? To calibrate the readers to pick up the misprinted tracks or to achieve dolby spec. ? All in all I think the labs need to get thier acts together.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2008 10:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
Maybe I should have said "You should use the minimum amount of tension needed to stop unwanted motion of the film in the gate"
What you said makes perfect sense to those with an IQ above 63 but remember the projectionists/managers out here typically are under IQ 63.

So this is what I teach them....

You can rarely stop that unwanted motion any longer even if there were a gate pressure setting of 25 [Eek!] . The 1:00 to 2:00 position "should give optimum results" (assuming the projector is set up properly). Any more than that is excessive and will put unwanted wear and stress on the mechanism and they will be taking the repair charges out of your paycheck.

I assume the latter threat is why they all seem to flee over to McDonalds.

Mark

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2008 11:05 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I thought that excessive tension will only wear the bands faster (and put unnecessary stress on the film, of course). How does it affect the intermittent?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2008 11:28 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you mean and completely agree with you Mark, I just like to play devils advocate sometimes [Smile]

Excessive tension will cause more drag on the film causing the starwheel and cam to have to work harder to pull down the film. The more stress when the cam comes into contact with the starwheel will cause them to wear that much faster, and develop flat spots. The more the mechanism has to work to pull the film down the more stress on the drive train also causing fiber gears to wear etc...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2008 12:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three pieces suffer the most from excessive gate tension in this order:

1.Pin on the cam develops a flat spot where it strikes the slot during pull down. This development of a flat spot is normal wear over many years but is much accelerated with higher gate tension. Synthetic oil really helps in this department because it holds up much much better under the high pressures involved when the pin strikes the side of the slot.

2 Slot in the Star wheel wears faster from the extra pressure being exerted on it by the cam pin. A seriously worn slot will actually look wavey... you can fel it if you run your finger nail along the edges of the slot...

3.Face of the teeth on the intermittent sprocket become undercut faster.

4.Gate Bands will wear faster in certain spots but generally not all that much. What you get though is a stretching of the gate bands and a resultant lower tension once they become stretched. This is especially true of Apogee, Christie, and DP-70 gate bands... those machines whose bands are quite long.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-02-2008 12:27 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
We tell em not to turn it past 2:00 on the dial NO MATTER WHAT
The numbers are irrelevant. Tension depends on how deep the gate closure is set.

Nicholas Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2008 12:53 PM      Profile for Nicholas Stevens   Email Nicholas Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I understand that the tension knob should be set at the lowest number possible but my real issue is that the gate's (swing open style) are not all set correctly so the tension knob on some of the projectors are all the way up and some are not. Should I adjust the gate's to be tighter or looser depending on the setting of the tension knob to get the knob's to be on the lowest settings without the film jumping all over the place?

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2008 02:37 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Mark says makes a lot of sense as well there is a lot of printed side to side movement in the prints we receive now and some up and down bob as well. No amount of adjustment can right what the lab hath done wrong. There is also a matter of some of the camera's used in filming are in need of being maintained now and the lab can't correct film that is traveling side to side and bobbing up and down when it is being filmed.

It is rather upsetting to use pattern film to ensure that the film is traveling right and the tension is set well only to run a movie that has bob and weave that you can do nothing about!

As to setting the proper tension I would set the settings at the lowest number and adjust the large coil spring (using a test film loop such as Schneider Test Film CLT 2000). Adjust the coils until the jump and weave stops but use some kind of test film so you know it is printed stable!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2008 07:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
The numbers are irrelevant. Tension depends on how deep the gate closure is set.
Well ah Tim... there are standards for that setting on most American built projectors. If there are not then you go by ounces of tension while using a guage to determine the normal running pressure... quite elementary really!

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2008 07:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Well ah Tim... fortunately there are standard depth settings for most American built projectors so those numbers can actually serve as a refrence if you want them to. Some projectors gates click shut and have no adjustment for depth. If there are not specs as on some European machines then you go by ounces of tension using a scale guage(looks like one of them thare Fish weighn scales cept lots more accurate!) to determine the normal running pressure... 10 to 12 ounces of back tension is what is generally consdered Mid Scale er setting 3 on an X-L on that thare tension knobby. Quite elementary really!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: