Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby DA-20 Used With Mod 2C

Author Topic: Dolby DA-20 Used With Mod 2C
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2008 07:29 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently I run DTS directly through my Mod 2C processor to the amps and it works great. Will the DA-20 pass through the 2C and operate like the DTS 6D or does it need additional processing?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-01-2008 08:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Furr
Will the DA-20 pass through the 2C and operate like the DTS 6D or does it need additional processing?

It should but remember the DA-20 has no individual channel level adjustments... and ya will need the correct set of cables.

MArk

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2008 08:10 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Mark. I didn't realize the 6D had level adjustments. What are the chances that any DA-20 would have proper lever adjustments on it's output requiring no further lever corrections? Or, did I just luck out with the output of the DTS 6D?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2008 10:13 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the DTS is correctly calibrated, it should be fine.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2008 01:18 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does anyone think the DA-20 would be as well adjusted as the DTS 6D?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-01-2008 08:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the mod2c was 300mv on the digital input db25

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2008 05:29 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add to Gordon's comment, that is the standard input level on most processors. Most DTS players are calibrated to 300mV, but they have the ability to be calibrated in case you have a processor that uses a different input level (which I have never seen, but I'm sure there is something out there.) So if your processor does use 300mV inputs, then the DA20 will sound just fine.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2008 07:04 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help guys.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2008 09:05 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,

It has been a while now since I have dealt with this, but as I recall, you may only have to change your volume setting slightly just to get the level you want to play at. As long as the MOD 2C is properly set up with regard to channel balance, then it should work OK. The only other possible thing I recall was that the bass level on the DA-20 was possibly different than on a DTS, but again, it has been a long time since I even thought about this. It seems that the bass was a little less (don't remember how much) on a DA-20. I am sure someone will correct me if this is wrong information.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-02-2008 09:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a mod2c the sub will be 3 db low

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: