Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » UPS for platter system?

Author Topic: UPS for platter system?
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-29-2008 01:47 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, our platter has stopped taking up partway through shows. I don't think that it is a timing issue because it is not consistent, In fact it has only happened 3 times during the last 4 months. One possibility I'm considering is that during very brief brown outs, which seem to be common to the area, especially in inclement weather, the platter stops taking up just long enough to loose take up tension. I've seen other theatres use UPS systems on their platters. Do these help? If so, can you recommend a model?

Platter system: Strong SCDC3 (usb variation)
requires 10Amps at 120VAC 50hz.

Would this do it?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-29-2008 02:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have an opinion either way about UPSes for platters, but the little one in your link isn't beefy enough.

If the platter uses 10 amps at 120 volts (I assume that 50Hz is a typo), then you need something that can output approximately 1200 watts. In reality, the wattage will actually be somewhat less (probably around 1000) and that's a maximum number anyway, but you will definitely need more than 350 watts of output.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-29-2008 03:23 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Scott

From the base of the platter:
 -

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-29-2008 04:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You usually only find UPS's in large format systems.... Does the projector also shut down? What automation do you have? Try replacing the take up module in the platter as this module is common to all three decks while each pay out head has it's own module. I've seen intermittent modules before cause similar problems.

Mark

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-29-2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the projector shuts down. Automation is an EMK 1, however it isn't fully online yet.

In each case, it has been reported that the top plattter was taking up. The projectionist also reported that nothing was found missthreaded. Each time, the show has been easily resumable by simply turning the take up platter until the platter motor engaged.

Unfortunately, I have not been present durring any of the times it went down, so I am relying on information from our other projectionist. He was unable to tell me with any certainty wheather the platter stopped then the projector and lamp shut down, or whether everything stopped all at once. He did report a clicking sound when it shut down.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-29-2008 07:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
All of my new installs are on UPS backups. The PR3000 is the model I use for platters. What's awesome about it is that you can hook it into the booth lighting and rewind bench so if the power goes out, you have plenty of power to keep inspecting prints and other things for the whole freakin' day. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: